Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 'Request Upgrade'

tag
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Amex 'Request Upgrade'

So I've been poking around on the Amex page the last few weeks (since being approved for BCE and PRG). I've been looking at all of their cards and educating myself on their basic set up. Today, just shy of my first statement on both cards, I see the button 'Request Upgrade' on the Platinum and Blue Cash Preferred cards. Is this the offer to upgrade people talk about here? I wasn't expecting to see anything like that for some time. I'm guessing since terms would likely remain the same as would the credit line it isn't anything too special. I wouldn't upgrade PRG, likely at all, prior to the SUB being made and attached to my account. The BCP has a fee which the BCE does not but using it for gas and groceries would certainly return that and much more.

Thoughts?
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Amex 'Request Upgrade'

You need > $3200/yr in grocery spend to to make BCP pay more than BCE if you consider the fee. You have the potential to make a total of $85 more than with BCE if you max out grocery spend at $6K. Gas/Dept store transactions get a 1% bump on top of that, with no max.

Message 2 of 14
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Right, 3 months a year Disco gets the gas, the rest would be BCP and it's an SUV so it's kinda thirsty. I eat well as does my wife and daughter so the groceries would certainly max and gas would be pretty significant.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 3 of 14
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

It would be interesting to see if that upgrade link really works as you said that you just obtained the PRG and BCE.

Normally the CARD act prohibits any kind of annual fee increase in the first year.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 4 of 14
Caught750
Valued Contributor

That's what I was thinking too, though I'm curious as it could be slightly more beneficial. All the same I don't want to pay nearly $400 in fees if I add the EDP later. I'm feeling Amex as a mostly travel company for me. I have Disco and BCE to cover cash back and they do align well with my spending. PRG also hits gas and groceries pretty well on months that Disco doesn't. The plan is to add EDC or EDP and SPG or Delta with Amex and then maybe hit up another solid cash back card later. I just don't want to be racked with AFs cutting into rewards every year and that list gets there for sure.

The other option for travel would probably be a CSP though I'd hafta wait just for that to avoid going over 5/24 and I'll have some solid rewards built up with Amex by then. I'd need to transfer everything to a partner to use both or convert.

Lots of things to figure out before moving forward with anything, that's for sure
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

For whatever reason Amex will show the "request upgrade" button almost immediately upon opening one of the non-preferred variants of their cards, despite the CARD act preventing you from doing so. The best their CSRs can do for you is to tell you to wait a year then suggest you could also go ahead and open a new card now instead of waiting for the upgrade.

I myself would recommend the CSP/CSR route for flexibility +killer signup bonus. I decided to go with chase over Amex or a co-branded card for the flexibility of redemption options because it better fit our young family (well...family with a young child anyway lol) travel patterns. While we are almost exclusively loyal to delta we don't fly enough to make even the higher earn rate of the fee-based delta Amex cards worthwhile, it would take years to earn awards tickets. we rack up a fair amount of varying hotels & property rentals along 1-2 flights a year & heavy dining spend - CSP out earns Amex delta+SPG when considering awards booking requirements. Not enough spend in a single ecosystem.

If we flew more frequently and or internationally I'd probably have gotten delta gold or platinum + spg, but for us there's more value in transferring points or redeeming through chase.
Message 6 of 14
Caught750
Valued Contributor

I was thinking this also in regards to the CSP. If I said CSR I meant CSP. Amex MR can certainly cover parts of a trip we are planning but I thought the CSP was a better fit overall with better travel insurance options.

I Love Amex but short of the platinum I don't see a point in the EDP, maybe the free EDC. Chase seems to be winning big on earning while platinum definitely has some nice member perks.

I'm thinking save the 5th CC spot for CSP, then add EDC, and cancel PRG before the fee and take the platinum to replace it, with the sick new SUB of course...
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 7 of 14
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

For Chase, it has to be 4/24 not 5/24. If it’s the 5th card in 24 months your likely to be declined. You might be lucky on recon but to be safe I would make it the 4th card.

The PRG is hard to justify after the 1st year. It comes down to how much you plan on using the card. If it’s not going to be your daily driver and don’t have a lot of other bonus category cards for most of your spend. It’s definitely worth keeping but if you don’t plan on putting most of your spend on it. It becomes much harder.

I’m currently debating if I should cancel mine. I travel to the Caribbean a lot for work so AMEX coverage sucks.

The net fee is right around $32 if you include the roadside assistance into the AF.
AAA basic is 63 a year where I live and that includes the exact same things Amex does. Of course the platnium has Roadside Assistance as well if you do upgrade.

For Amex being mainly a travel perks based company. They really need to work on expanding their global footprint again.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 8 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymouswrote:
For whatever reason Amex will show the "request upgrade" button almost immediately upon opening one of the non-preferred variants of their cards, despite the CARD act preventing you from doing so. The best their CSRs can do for you is to tell you to wait a year then suggest you could also go ahead and open a new card now instead of waiting for the upgrade.

I myself would recommend the CSP/CSR route for flexibility +killer signup bonus. I decided to go with chase over Amex or a co-branded card for the flexibility of redemption options because it better fit our young family (well...family with a young child anyway lol) travel patterns. While we are almost exclusively loyal to delta we don't fly enough to make even the higher earn rate of the fee-based delta Amex cards worthwhile, it would take years to earn awards tickets. we rack up a fair amount of varying hotels & property rentals along 1-2 flights a year & heavy dining spend - CSP out earns Amex delta+SPG when considering awards booking requirements. Not enough spend in a single ecosystem.

If we flew more frequently and or internationally I'd probably have gotten delta gold or platinum + spg, but for us there's more value in transferring points or redeeming through chase.

Yes, I received the upgrade offer from Delta Platinum to Delta Reserve almost immediately.  Seems to just be a glitch in the Amex website that doesn't factor in the CARD Act.  When I brought it up, someone else actually tried to do so and it wouldn't let them.  As for the Delta cards themselves, there's no reason at all to put spend on the cards unless you're trying to get the MQD waiver for $25,000 spend to obtain Silver, Gold, or Platinum status.  Put simply, if you have two flights a year (one round-trip or two one-way), the Gold pays for itself with the free bags.  If you have one Main Cabin round-trip flight a year with at least one other person, the Platinum pays for itself with the free bags and annual companion ticket.  Delta Reserve is a harder one to justify unless you fly Delta quite a lot.

Message 9 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I have the upgrade offer for green to PRG at 40k for 2k spend in 3months. Uhm, $195 af, no idea if thats a good offer but couldnt make the spend requirement anyway. Im just gonna close my green. K, should i wait til the AF post to cancel? Thanks
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.