Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Retention Offers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Retention Offers

After reading a blog about Amex retention, I started chat with the agent.  No success.  The agent asked me to call.

PRG - 30k MR points

Aspire - $250 statement credit.

I plan to call again for Biz Platinum next month

I think I should encourage everyone to call when an annual fee is due.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
furthur
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Retention Offers

I might try this soon. My Hilton Aspire & Delta Platinum both have their anniversary July 8th. I get tremendous value from the Hilton but with not too much spend. I'm getting no value from the Delta and no spend. Is it best to call before my anniversary or after? I'll probably downgrade the Delta Platinum if I have no luck there.

Message 2 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@furthur wrote:

I might try this soon. My Hilton Aspire & Delta Platinum both have their anniversary July 8th. I get tremendous value from the Hilton but with not too much spend. I'm getting no value from the Delta and no spend. Is it best to call before my anniversary or after? I'll probably downgrade the Delta Platinum if I have no luck there.

It's best to wait until the AF posts.

Are you eligible for the $50 statement credit on Delta Platinum? It effectively defers the AF hike for at least some cards.

I got 50k on Schwab, but that was a few days before they launched the cell and streaming credits.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

By the time of my next renewal I hope the real economy has improved such that I have less leverage for a retention offer on my travel cards.

Message 4 of 14
furthur
Regular Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@furthur wrote:

Are you eligible for the $50 statement credit on Delta Platinum? It effectively defers the AF hike for at least some cards.

I got 50k on Schwab, but that was a few days before they launched the cell and streaming credits.

I received the email for the $50 statement credit, so yes thankfully I will get at least that.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

For Biz Platinum, I was offered 5k MR plus 25k MR after 10k spending....  That is the reason I plan to call again next month when I see AF posted.   I expected 30k or 50k without spending.....  although my spending was minimal, under 1k, since Feb.

Message 6 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

For Biz Platinum, I was offered 5k MR plus 25k MR after 10k spending....  That is the reason I plan to call again next month when I see AF posted.   I expected 30k or 50k without spending.....  although my spending was minimal, under 1k, since Feb.

While I don't know the exact rules, the general consensus seems to be that you have to wait two years between retention offers on a single account. So definitely let us know if you get an additional offer on Business Platinum!

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Thanks so much @Anonymous and @furthur 

I never even thought of cancelling my Hilton Aspire card because I really like it, but your posts gave me the idea of calling and seeing if there was a retention offer available, so I did, and got one that is pretty great in my book.

I didn't even say that I was cancelling, just that my annual fee was coming up, that with Covid it's tough to get value out of the card, and that I'd appreciate any help they can give me.

And boom, they gave me 2 alternative offers, 1 for cash, 1 for points. I chose cash.

Data points: it was coming up for renewal next month; it's a fairly old card (in several different iterations, having been product changed and upgraded 3 different times); my scores are ok but it seems they were more influenced by how old the relationship is; I had to speak to someone from a special team.

I love this forum. Always getting new ideas and learning stuff.

Total revolving limits 587500 (521k reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 714 EX 721

Message 8 of 14
furthur
Regular Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Thanks so much @Anonymous and @furthur 

I never even thought of cancelling my Hilton Aspire card because I really like it, but your posts gave me the idea of calling and seeing if there was a retention offer available, so I did, and got one that is pretty great in my book.

I didn't even say that I was cancelling, just that my annual fee was coming up, that with Covid it's tough to get value out of the card, and that I'd appreciate any help they can give me.

And boom, they gave me 2 alternative offers, 1 for cash, 1 for points. I chose cash.

Data points: it was coming up for renewal next month; it's a fairly old card (in several different iterations, having been product changed and upgraded 3 different times); my scores are ok but it seems they were more influenced by how old the relationship is; I had to speak to someone from a special team.

I love this forum. Always getting new ideas and learning stuff.

Nice! glad it worked for you. Another question I have, if I call for a retention offer before the AF posts and am not successful, can I try again after the AF posts and possibly have better luck? Or is there only one shot at it?

Message 9 of 14
Dgr24
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

After reading a blog about Amex retention, I started chat with the agent.  No success.  The agent asked me to call.

PRG - 30k MR points

Aspire - $250 statement credit.

I plan to call again for Biz Platinum next month

I think I should encourage everyone to call when an annual fee is due.

Wow. That's great! Great tip too.

What did you say exactly to them? Any pointers? 

Credit Cards

Retail Cards
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.