Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex SP Theory

tag
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

Amex SP Theory

Ok so i think i have confirmed that the SP theory is incorrect at least for me ... I applied to applications one for BCP and Everyday   following my approval for True Earnings and they said i had to wait a few days because system cant process applications back to back and certainly they have triple pulled my report did BCP yesterday and Everyday today  resulting in 3 seperate pulls on different days and was declined for all except TE i'm so mad now ..... 2 wasted pulls..

CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Twas_Sovereign
New Contributor

Re: Amex SP Theory

1 SP is if you go for a Charge then a revolver card within 24 hours. It is a separate pull for each revolver card application.

Message 2 of 7
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

@Twas_Sovereign wrote:

1 SP is if you go for a Charge then a revolver card within 24 hours. It is a separate pull for each revolver card application.

^^^ Good to know! Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 3 of 7
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

@Twas_Sovereign wrote:

Man i wish i knew that....Before applying for the h*ll of it knowing that i probably wouldnt get approved but took the chance since it was supposedly a SP so i thought ..... i wanna say so many bad things right now OMG ...

CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 4 of 7
CalAlumnus13
Contributor

The dogma here is that, when existing cardmembers apply for a new Amex, it's a SP if denied, a HP if approved. However, there have been some scattered reports of people being HP'd and declined.
FICOs: EX (per Amex, 1/20/18): 830 | TU (per Discover, 1/20/18): 817

Wallet: Discover It $35.5k | Amex EveryDay $25k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $19.5k | Chase Freedom $8.5k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $8.5k | Amex BCE $7.7k

Drawer: Hella More
Message 5 of 7
JLK93
Established Contributor

@CalAlumnus13 wrote:
The dogma here is that, when existing cardmembers apply for a new Amex, it's a SP if denied, a HP if approved. However, there have been some scattered reports of people being HP'd and declined.

I have an Amex charge card. I applied for a revolver and was declined. I received a HP. A month later I applied for a different revolver and was once again declined. I received another HP. The Amex SP Theory does not always hold.

Message 6 of 7
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

sorry to hear about the HPs...i guess like Lexie said, its not a guaranteed procedure they will always follow. I wonder if it depends on a person's internal risk score with them. Or maybe because OP is a recent member. I guess we may never know.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.