Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Upgrade Offer - $150 for $1k spend in 3mos

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Upgrade Offer - $150 for $1k spend in 3mos

So Amex sent me an upgrade offer for my Cash Magnet to upgrade my Cash Magnet to the Blue Cash Preferred.  This card normally has a $95 annual fee which they waive the first year, and to sweeten the deal they offered me $150 bonus if I spend $1k+ in purchases.  I am closing on my house house end of July and need to furnish it so I will have zero problem meeting the spend.  So I pulled the trigger.  Then I looked at my Blue Cash Everyday and BOOM, SAME OFFER.  So now I have 2 Blue Cash Preferred cards, with $300 bonus not too far away.  I called CS to confirm and yes, the offers are still valid on my account and will pay out as soon as I hit the minimum purchase requirements.

I love that upgrades are not hard inquiries so I can still play in the credit card sandbox while living in the mortgage application world.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
KingRue8500
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Upgrade Offer - $150 for $1k spend in 3mos

Congrats on your AMEX upgrades

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm surprised they'll let you double dip these. Would have thought that would get the attention of AMEX's RAT. 

Message 3 of 21
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Wow, you definitely got a sweet deal going here. 2 upgrades and bonuses, nice hookup!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 4 of 21
MrDFinance
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So Amex sent me an upgrade offer for my Cash Magnet to upgrade my Cash Magnet to the Blue Cash Preferred.  This card normally has a $95 annual fee which they waive the first year, and to sweeten the deal they offered me $150 bonus if I spend $1k+ in purchases.  I am closing on my house house end of July and need to furnish it so I will have zero problem meeting the spend.  So I pulled the trigger.  Then I looked at my Blue Cash Everyday and BOOM, SAME OFFER.  So now I have 2 Blue Cash Preferred cards, with $300 bonus not too far away.  I called CS to confirm and yes, the offers are still valid on my account and will pay out as soon as I hit the minimum purchase requirements.

I love that upgrades are not hard inquiries so I can still play in the credit card sandbox while living in the mortgage application world.

Yes I love that too ....I've been in the garden for 19 months but was able to upgrade a few cards along the way ....Come December I will have no inquiries on any of my reports 🤩....Going for my first house early next year 

Message 5 of 21
TSlop
Valued Contributor

I'm curious how you came across your upgrade offers. Were they emailed, a pop-up when signing in, or did you check the specific credit card page(s) for the upgrade button/offer? I'm waiting to see if I ever get an offer to upgrade my no AF Hilton card, and I'm wondering how it will be presented to me. Admittedly, I don't use it much, but I will hit 2 years with it in August.

Message 6 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm surprised they'll let you double dip these. Would have thought that would get the attention of AMEX's RAT. 

Well, as these were offered by Amex, RAT shouldn't really get involved.   But I believe that the policy was/is you could only have one of each (BCP/BCE/OBC) so having 2 BCP might raise a flag at some point.

Message 7 of 21
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, as these were offered by Amex, RAT shouldn't really get involved.   But I believe that the policy was/is you could only have one of each (BCP/BCE/OBC) so having 2 BCP might raise a flag at some point.

Yep.  They might roll back or nullify the 2nd bonus or the upgrade altogether but I'm sure they won't be out for blood.   

Some of you may recall the minor brouhaha when they didn't properly inhibit the ability to select the same AMEX offer on multiple cards and collect on each instance of the offer selected.   I see this as being roughly on the same level.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 21
MrDFinance
Established Contributor

@TSlop wrote:

I'm curious how you came across your upgrade offers. Were they emailed, a pop-up when signing in, or did you check the specific credit card page(s) for the upgrade button/offer? I'm waiting to see if I ever get an offer to upgrade my no AF Hilton card, and I'm wondering how it will be presented to me. Admittedly, I don't use it much, but I will hit 2 years with it in August.

Typically after having the card for a year if u login and visit the credit card page of the upgrade version on the card you have it will show a upgrade button.....

Message 9 of 21
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@MrDFinance wrote:

@TSlop wrote:

Typically after having the card for a year if u login and visit the credit card page of the upgrade version on the card you have it will show a upgrade button.....

Yes, mine has had the upgrade button for a long time, but there has never been an offer attached to it (it just reiterates the Surpass' enhanced earning), so I was wondering if they give you a pop-up or an email offer when/if there is one. If they don't typically do that, I'll have to make sure to continue to check the card page periodically for an offer to go along with the upgrade button.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.