Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex and return payments

tag
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

Amex and return payments

So I have an American express card that I had a return payment on a long time ago. About a year ago more or less. The account has been active for a year as well. The return payment wasn't an issue on my behalf. Bank of America did not process my check in time even though they assured me it would be okay to process the payment for Amex. I got a returned payment fee and it was waived and I thought it was all cool but at the time when my 90 days came up and I requested an increase they declined because of the return payment. That upset me because they also told me my account would be okay since the payment was issued again and we even did a three way call with BoA to reassure that the money was there. Anyways I havent gotten one increase almost a full year later, I tried a week ago and I got the letter where yet again it says the reason is return payment. Will this ever pass or will I have to give up on amex?

As of 11/28/2018
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex and return payments

"about a year ago more or less" is a very weak data point so we have to throw that out.

Log into your bank account and see when this happened.  If it was 11 months and 3 days ago, then hope it opens up after 12 months.  If it was 12 months and 9 days ago, then hope for the best going forward.

Note that a rejected payment is uglier to a lender than going overlimit.  It means you didn't have enough money in the bank for the payment, and to them that's a huge red flag.  Some lenders just close accounts when this happens.

I suggest you switch to pushing payments, not pulling payments.  Never once saw an issue with a pushed payment.  And if you need to rely on the next paycheck to cover payments, try building your emergency savings account more!

Message 2 of 6
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

"about a year ago more or less" is a very weak data point so we have to throw that out.

Log into your bank account and see when this happened.  If it was 11 months and 3 days ago, then hope it opens up after 12 months.  If it was 12 months and 9 days ago, then hope for the best going forward.

Note that a rejected payment is uglier to a lender than going overlimit.  It means you didn't have enough money in the bank for the payment, and to them that's a huge red flag.  Some lenders just close accounts when this happens.

I suggest you switch to pushing payments, not pulling payments.  Never once saw an issue with a pushed payment.  And if you need to rely on the next paycheck to cover payments, try building your emergency savings account more!

I'm checking on the exact date but I'm pretty sure it was in January. I realize how it looks however I've never had a late payment and all of my accounts are in good standing and that is my only returned payment that Amex was able to VERIFY that the money was indeed in the account in the three way call as I explained before. Also my entire check wasn't going towards credit card payments and I always pay over minimum payments. I realize you didn't mean anything bad by it but it kind of came out wrong. At least to me. Savings are kept else where.

As of 11/28/2018
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Np1791 wrote:

I'm checking on the exact date but I'm pretty sure it was in January. I realize how it looks however I've never had a late payment and all of my accounts are in good standing and that is my only returned payment that Amex was able to VERIFY that the money was indeed in the account in the three way call as I explained before. Also my entire check wasn't going towards credit card payments and I always pay over minimum payments. I realize you didn't mean anything bad by it but it kind of came out wrong. At least to me. Savings are kept else where.

As a credit card customer myself, I understand your reasons for wanting it forgotten.  As someone who invests in credit card debt, I would thumbs down twice.  

Here's why...

If I loan someone money, I expect them to pay the debt on time, and I expect them to plan for it.  If they owe me $300 this month and don't have it on time, that's a problem.  But worse, if they tell me to withdraw the funds from their bank and it's rejected due to deposit timing, it hurts me AND it tell me that they don't keep some extra in their account and are basically living paycheck-to-paycheck.

So as a customer, I agree with you.  But as an investor, it carries no weight.  If I was a bank, I'd do the same thing other banks do including halting the account's growth or shutting the account down.

Many of us have made the same error you have (it's quite common!).  Some folks screw up by putting the wrong bank account number into their credit card payment page and it bounces and they get shut down even though they had tons of money in checking!

Just take it as a lesson forever more.  If you don't push payments from your checking account to the creditor, you may end up in these situations.  I always push payments, always.  Never once had an issue!  Pulling payments can create all sorts of weird negative situations even if you have tons of money in the account!

Message 4 of 6
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Have you called them lately to complain about this issue?
Also are you PIFing Amex every month since the incident?
I don't understand why you're still being punished a year later?
I had a return payment on one of my Amex accounts late last year because of a honest mistake on a employee card.
They punished me for 30 days. They charged a returned payment fee but refunded it back days later. They also raised my rate temporarily. I did call in and chew ass. lol
After those 30 days, I was given another Amex TL and a CLI.
Bottom line don't be afraid to call in and state your case.
I will continue to allow them to pull payments. As I'm not one to over micromanage accounts.
I've never had this to happen with my own personal accounts and I have a bunch of them. I like the lenders to take their money. If they screw it up, it's on them.
Message 5 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, sorry this happened, but thanks for sharing. 

There is a debate whether to push or pull payments, however if one is playing it very close on paycheck deposit timing to make CC payments, then perhaps consider moving that savings to the bank where the checking account is, and set up either the savings or a line of credit or other CC at that bank as a backup. If a CC company sends a payment request, and not enough cash at the moment in checking, then the bank steps over to savings or the credit line to fill in the gap. No returned payment and you sort out the cash after the fact. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.