Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex card decision

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex card decision

Hey everyone,

I am currently a 21 year old full time student, I have been an authorized user on 2 of my dads credit cards for nearly 2 years(Credit reports claim 3 years) My EQ score is 726, TU is 745 and EXP is 711. Other than being an authorized user I have no other line of credit. I was thinking about applying for the Amex Platium just becasue I saw people were having better luck with getting approved over the Gold. My dream card is the Citi Aadvantage card but I feel the likelihood is not promising. I am new this so I will take any advice! 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex card desicsion

Probably better shot at Amex than Citi, Citi prefers at least 1 year credit history. The Platinum seems to be a good card if you utilize it right. Paying $550 af just to have not the best option. ImoSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 20
BPebbles
Frequent Contributor

I agree with AJC, but be aware that the AmEx Platinum is a charge card, not a credit card.  You have to pay in full every statement.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

What would you recomend for me?

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

All Amex charge cards seem to have similar underwriting criteria. Who do you bank with? That would be a good place to start. Who are the AU cards with? If they are also with Amex, then applying for both a charge card and then a revolver in the same day (BCE or ED) I'd say would likely work out in your favor.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

One AU is with Amex and the other is Citi AAdvantage World Elite. I bank with regional bank called Regions. I just have it while im here in at school, but im not a big fan of it. I was reading where if you have an account with amex it will only be a soft pull? Does that include the AU?

Message 6 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

No i believe you have to actually have an actual account. I would probably go for an Amex first, as they kinda prefer thin files and in a year after establishing your own credit you could go for the Citi.
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex card decision*

Is there a big difference in approvals between the platinum and gold? I travel quite a bit and have a trip to Europe coming up in a few weeks. 

Message 8 of 20
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The underwriting is the same for the charge cards so if you want to apply for the platinum card just keep in mind as others have already mentioned there's an annual fee charged right away of $550 and since it's a charge card the balance has to be paid in full every month.

Message 9 of 20
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I know Amex is often okay with thin files...I got my first with 6.5 months of history...but will it hurt OP that the history is only on AU cards? I'm not sure what Amex's underwriting standards are regarding history as an AU.

Platinum isn't generally believed to be easier to get than other charge cards. Also, last I heard the regular Gold was closed to new apps, so it's not relevant for comparison to begin with.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.