Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex doesn't HP for applications if you are already a card member

tag
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

Amex doesn't HP for applications if you are already a card member

So I know if you have an amex and want to apply for a new card they dont hard pull for a denial but if you get approved they hard pull. I have all my reports frozen and I just applied for a platinum and it went through and was approved. Do they just SP now if you are already a card member ? Ive gotten no alerts about a HP which when I have applied in the past I got the notification right away. 

CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Re: Amex doesn't HP for applications if you are already a card member

YMMV on that. For me, when I asked for my second card in 30days, I had a HP on my report. The denials I had were not on there, just sp. Maybe this is a new phenomenon with Amex.
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey! New member here finally coming out the shadows..

I applied for AMEX BCE back in February and have yet to see a HP hit any of my CRs. Now you're making me want to check iy out and see if I could get anymore but I dont think I should. Lol.

Message 3 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I never got a HP from AmEx when I got my SPG in March and that was my first new card from them in nearly 15 years. YMMV.
Message 4 of 22
trant3
Established Contributor

I applied for the SPG in Feb with EX frozen, app was denied for same. I was asked to provide my EX pin to proceed, which I ended up doing and received HP same day. I have 4 other Amex CCs

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for my first amex (BCE) in January. Have been approved for 3 more Amex's since then. My only inquiry from them is the 1 from my BCE approval.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been my experience no HP for additional cards after my initial HP. Others have reported differently. Initial app was MAY 2016 (HP) additional cards approved Feb 2017 and still haven't seen HP. The 2 additinal cards approved the same day (BCP and PLAT). Wish I knew the diffenitive answer......Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 22
cjesser15
Contributor

I was wondering about this myself. I've had an Everyday for a couple years. Applied for a blue cash everyday a few months ago. Never saw a HP and thought it was strange.
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just approved for (but haven't received in the mail yet) a SPG Amex a few days ago, also no HP. The only one I've had from them was when I received my first Amex Everyday in 2015, with a CLI just a few months ago. It was a nice surprise.

Message 9 of 22
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

No HP for my PRG. Picked up 2 months after BCE.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.