Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex member since question

tag
dragonfly66
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex member since question

@kdm31091 wrote:
They still "backdate" the year on the actual card but it's purely cosmetic. The credit bureau is now given the actual opening date for the account.

That didn't happen for me for some reason.  I just got the Amex Everyday card and it says member since 2016, yet when I login online it says member since 1986 (I had one back when dinosaurs ruled the earth Smiley LOL)  I hate that I missed the Amex backdate party.  

Current - FICO 3/2019: EX(753); EQ(763); TU(749)
Beginning - FICO 7/2014: EX(630); EQ(608); TU(581)
Credit: Wells Fargo Home Projects Charge Card ($7,800); Wells Fargo Home Rebate Visa ($4,000); Capital One Quicksilver ($10,000); Capital One Venture ($6,000); Discover it ($7,900); Macy's ($20,000); BrandsMart ($4,000); Banana Republic ($1,200); Lowes ($12,000); Amex Everyday ($30,000); Macy's Amex ($15,000); Amex Platinum (NPSL); Citi Diamond Preferred ($9,000); Chase Freedom ($9,000); Wells Fargo Outdoor Solutions ($10,000); SunTrust HELOC ($25,000)
Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

That would be absolutely accurate. I received yesterday and it's got "Member Since 16" embossed into it. I had read a lot of the posts related to this issue, and it appears accurate what many people said - that even if the card is embossed 88, and even if the website also says 88, it's only about what Amex does and subsequently reports to the CRB's. Thanks for the reply.

Message 22 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@dragonfly66 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
They still "backdate" the year on the actual card but it's purely cosmetic. The credit bureau is now given the actual opening date for the account.

That didn't happen for me for some reason.  I just got the Amex Everyday card and it says member since 2016, yet when I login online it says member since 1986 (I had one back when dinosaurs ruled the earth Smiley LOL)  I hate that I missed the Amex backdate party.  

That's normal as well... if you get that card replaced (after it expires or before) the new card should have your "correct" MSD. 

The only one of my three cards with the "correct" MSD is my Delta Gold, and it's correct because I was logged into the Amex site when I applied for it.  For the other two they made the connection after the card was imprinted, but when they expire the replacements will have my 'old' date of 1995.  For some this would be reason to request a new card now, but I just don't care enough to be bothered with it since it's only cosmetic anyway.

Like you, I hate that I missed the backdate party as well.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking exactly that - that they'd get the original MSD on a replacement. Because whe I called to ask, the CSR said he saw my old account the I closed in 2010, and he didn't see the 1988. That would mean precisely what you said; they didn't make the connection until I called, and at that point they still hadn't connected me to the 88 card. 

Who knows?.... Maybe if he had - they would have denied me. LoL

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

The very second a new account is approved, the file is sent to the card printing and shipping department. The association with an older account doesn't happen until about 24 hours after hence why you will usually see the first card of an account show with an incorrect MSD.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.