Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex over limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex over limit?

I charged up my HH card near it's CL. One of the biggest charges was a hotel stay authorization that removed itself for a few days then posted after the stay/check-out. After it posted my available credit was still high. Now my available credit + balance > CL (661 + 924 > 1k CL)

Anyone have this happen? I checked my CL online and it's still 1k so I don't think I got a CLI, but I can spend far past it at the moment.B7424532-8622-4F19-9424-CF747B7D63B6.jpeg

C972675F-074F-45B3-87A0-460332AE357F.jpeg

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex over limit?

Amex would allow you to spend over your credit limit if your profile is not risky. That is why you can "check your spending power" even on their revolvers. Once you do, and if they would allow it, they will allow spending by extending the amount to you above your credit limit.

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 2 of 19
wasCB14
Super Contributor

~$40k on a $13k CL.

I got a "reminder" call a few days before my $27k minimum payment was due.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup. OP, at due date time you'll have to pay any amount over the limit plus whatever minimum Amex had for you. It would probably be wise to pay the overage and far more than the minimum to reassure them though.

Message 4 of 19
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@GoldenloveNY wrote:

Amex would allow you to spend over your credit limit if your profile is not risky. That is why you can "check your spending power" even on their revolvers. Once you do, and if they would allow it, they will allow spending by extending the amount to you above your credit limit.

WHAAAAAAT??? 🤯

I just got my first Amex revolver (BCP) and was wondering why they have the "check your spending power" link for this card too. This is very interesting...how does utilization factor in then, if a balance higher than your limit reports?

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLEXH25 It would be very bad. If you were to spend $300 over your limit today, and your minimum was due on next Friday, for example, then by that Friday you likely need to pay your minimum plus that $300. If you don't, and it reports, not only would your utilization be awful but Amex would likely be coming with some pointed questions and possibly AA. They'll extend your line over the limit as a courtesy if you're solid in their eyes but you don't want to let it remain outstanding past your due date.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLEXH25 It would be very bad. If you were to spend $300 over your limit today, and your minimum was due on next Friday, for example, then by that Friday you likely need to pay your minimum plus that $300. If you don't, and it reports, not only would your utilization be awful but Amex would likely be coming with some pointed questions and possibly AA. They'll extend your line over the limit as a courtesy if you're solid in their eyes but you don't want to let it remain outstanding past your due date.

Huh? It's my understanding that with AMEX cards, if you spend over your limit in one cycle, it's not due til the next and gets added to your minimum. 

Obviously this is terrible for utilization (maxed out) but this use case is regardless something that AMEX says is acceptable so I can't see them coming for you unless it's getting close to the due date in which that over the limit amount is due. 

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I'm glad you corrected it - I haven't ever taken mine over their limits and was relying on what I thought I read awhile back. Good that there's some time allowed I'm sure but yeah, the 100%+ usage would be a bad look on your reports.

Message 8 of 19
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Well the card would report the balance well before the due date (assuming you don't make a payment before then). So if you're limit is $1,000 and they extend you to $1,500 and you have a $1,200 balance, how does it report? $1,200/$1,000 ~OR~ $1,200 / $1,500?

In reality, I would very likely pay down the balance before it reports, but I'm just curious  how they handle that scenario. 

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok I'm glad you corrected it - I haven't ever taken mine over their limits and was relying on what I thought I read awhile back. Good that there's some time allowed I'm sure but yeah, the 100%+ usage would be a bad look on your reports.

Yeah I won't ever be finding out either. I would have a heart attack when my score dropped... that's what, 30-40 points or so? 😱 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.