cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex prequalification site. Response made me LOL.

tag
CreditMarathoner
Frequent Contributor

Amex prequalification site. Response made me LOL.

I was perusing the Amex site looking at the cards.  Now I'm not interested in applying for any, but I saw a button to prequalify so out of curiosity I clicked it and filled out the relevant info.  It spun for a few seconds, and came back with the screenshot below.

Really?  I might be able to prequalify for a card at CREDIT ONE?  I guess my 25+ year old profile with 800+ FICO8 scores aren't good enough for Amex.  Or maybe one can't prequal with frozen reports?  Or their prequal site be broke?

I just had to chuckle at the offer for Credit One.

amex prequal.jpg

Open Tradelines: 4 Revolvers, 1 Mortgage / Garden Start Date: 10/1/2021 / Garden Goal: don't have one right now
TCL: $26,500 / AAoA: 8y6m / AoYA: 1y5m / Inqs: 1EX 0TU 1EQ / FICO8 Feb 2023: 848(TU) 843(EX)
7 REPLIES 7
learningcredit54
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex prequalification site. Response made me LOL.

I must admit that this is SUPER odd. A nice score with a nice history should easily let you get your pick out of the Amex cards. Has to be an error.

Business Cards:
Amex Business Plus: 6000 // Amex Business Hilton Honors: 3000 // Amex Delta Gold: 4900 // Amex Business Platinum NPSL POT 5000 // Amex Business Gold NPSL POT 15000

Personal Cards:
Discover It Cash Back: 8000 // Chase Saphire Preferred: 5000 // Truist Enjoy Beyond: 4500 // Amex Blue Cash Preferred: 1000 // Cap1SavorOne: 2000 // Cap1 Secured Platinum: 200 // Cap1 QuiksilverOne 2000 // Citi Double Cash: 5200 // Amex Platinum NPSL POT 4000 // Amex Gold NPSL POT 1750

GOAL SCORES 750 ACROSS
Message 2 of 8
MarkintheHV
Frequent Contributor

They did that to me once.  I suspected that my credit reports might have been frozen, but not for sure.  A month later I got approved for BCP.

I too laughed when I got that screen.

What's in my wallet? - NFCU Flagship - 80k | AmEx Delta Reserve - $71k | Citi AA Executive 37k
Message 3 of 8
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
Traveler101
Established Contributor

You need to unthaw exp at the very least for amex pequal. They have been known to pull ex and tu if you accept the offer. It's a sp prequal.

Message 5 of 8
CreditMarathoner
Frequent Contributor

After doing some googling I figured it was because of my frozen reports.  Oh well, it keeps me in the garden.

I just thought the response with the mention of Credit One to be amusing.  A message to say that prequals aren't available because of a freeze would have been informative, but maybe they don't disclose that for security reasons.

Open Tradelines: 4 Revolvers, 1 Mortgage / Garden Start Date: 10/1/2021 / Garden Goal: don't have one right now
TCL: $26,500 / AAoA: 8y6m / AoYA: 1y5m / Inqs: 1EX 0TU 1EQ / FICO8 Feb 2023: 848(TU) 843(EX)
Message 6 of 8
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

i am SHOCKED they are promoting credit one on their website - u go from the platinum card to the credit one card , total opposite ends of the spectrum lmao 

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 7 of 8
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

@mfinsmi1 wrote:

i am SHOCKED they are promoting credit one on their website - u go from the platinum card to the credit one card , total opposite ends of the spectrum lmao 

Amex card network. So Amex is getting swipe fees no matter how prime the customer is. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.