Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex retention offer

tag
SDMarik
Established Contributor

Amex retention offer

Just called up the retention line for Amex, as the AF for my platinum card is coming due next week. Told them I wasn't sure If I wanted to keep it after the AF got raised. They offered me 60,000 MRP for $4k in spend over 3 months, obviously I took it!

Are things like retention offers negotiable? Would I be able to counter them and say something like "make it 80,000 and I'm in" Smiley Happy

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Amex retention offer

It is not a live negotiation, nor does the rep have any say in what your offers are or are not -- it's all just an algorithim. Whatever offers are present on your account are all that can be given to you.

Message 2 of 12
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Amex 60k MRP offer . . . I've never tried to negotiate any retention but I will be monitoring the responses!!!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 3 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SDMarik wrote:

Just called up the retention line for Amex, as the AF for my platinum card is coming due next week. Told them I wasn't sure If I wanted to keep it after the AF got raised. They offered me 60,000 MRP for $4k in spend over 3 months, obviously I took it!

Are things like retention offers negotiable? Would I be able to counter them and say something like "make it 80,000 and I'm in" Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, no negotiation. Whatever the system provides an agent (if an offer is available) is what will be presented. Nonetheless, congrats on getting an offer!

Message 4 of 12
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

OP: I learned from @coldfusion about a forum on Flyer Talk where people share their Amex retention offers.  Based on my quick look there just now, you did well. I see a bunch of recent offers on Platinum for $400, 40k and 55k but I didn't notice any others at 60k. Congrats!

Message 5 of 12
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

I'm thinking that Amex maybe hasn't done as well as they would have liked, Plat-wise.  Between the fare increase, travel being stifled and some additional competition, there may be increased internal pressure to try harder not lose an existing customer.

Message 6 of 12
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

More to the point in my case, my Gold card is coming up for renewal.  Maybe it doesn't matter, but how, with a straight face, do I say I might cancel it, when I have probably run at least 50k through it in its first year?  Also, my Delta Reserve is about to renew, and the apparent case for downgrade or cancellation is pretty good.  The reality is I want the companion pass, as I promised my wife we'd fly up front (unknown territory) to LV.  And once I got into the airport clubs, I can't really go back to the waiting areas. I do use the Reserve for the phone insurance, but I read that's available on my Navy Visa Sig.  I suspect that Amex is also pretty motivated to keep customers paying the 550 on the Reserve, so maybe I can get a good offer.

Message 7 of 12
SDMarik
Established Contributor

You don't really need to "convince" them In any way that you are considering leaving. When I called and said the fee might not be worth it, it was after I spent about $25k in the first 3 months of the year. They're pretty good about it. It's worth a call, you'll probably get something.

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 8 of 12
Bkist21
Valued Member

Congrats!!

I just chatted with Amex about my old SPG card now a Amex Bonvoy card.   30k marriott points for 1500 dollars spend in 3 months which i accepted.  THanks for the inspiration!

Message 9 of 12
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

When I got a retention offer in January on my EDP (15k pts for I think 3k spend), the CSR kicked me to the retention people, and they gave me the news.  At that point apparently, it is what it is, and they just read it off to you and ask you if you want it.  Anybody have any DP to the contrary?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.