Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex statement closing questions

tag
jcooks
Established Contributor

Amex statement closing questions

My Amex Gold statement closing date is 16th.  I applied for my 2nd Amex card on May 27th and instantly approved.  I just paid my balance on my Gold the day after statement was cut yesterday.  Late last night, I get an email that my 2nd Amex card statement is ready.  I was mind boggled because I got the card about 2 weeks prior.  The 2nd statement closing date is up until July 16th, so at least that gives me a month from then.  My question, does Amex always set the same closing date on all of your cards?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex statement closing questions

No, AmEx statement cycle dates are variable and not necessarily dependent on when you were approved.  Some can cut early while others may take a bit to generate.  That said, I have multiple AmEx CCs, and save for a couple accounts, all have different statement cycle dates.  

Message 2 of 7
jcooks
Established Contributor

Copy.  Just had to ask as I only have these 2 and coincidentally have the same closing date, even thought they were obtained different days of the month.  Thank you.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jcooks wrote:

My Amex Gold statement closing date is 16th.  I applied for my 2nd Amex card on May 27th and instantly approved.  I just paid my balance on my Gold the day after statement was cut yesterday.  Late last night, I get an email that my 2nd Amex card statement is ready.  I was mind boggled because I got the card about 2 weeks prior.  The 2nd statement closing date is up until July 16th, so at least that gives me a month from then.  My question, does Amex always set the same closing date on all of your cards?

No. Its just a coincidence based on the date you applied for the second card and the closing date picked by Amex's computer.

I have four Amex cards and they all have different closing dates.  You can always call them and ask to move the Closing Date for one of the cards if its a problem for you.

You also should be aware that Amex personal cards have variable closing dates and they don't close on the same day each month.  Instead Amex gives a 25-day float period between Closing Date and Due Date.  Because the lengths of months vary, the Closing and Due Dates also move around a bit.

Message 4 of 7
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

I know this isn't what you're asking, but just in case it's useful: you can ask for a different date. I did that with Amex and Capital One, because I wanted all cards from each bank to have the same billing cycles/due dates.
Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 7
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

You'll likely be requesting a different due date rather than a different statement date. Due dates remain the same from month to month. As mentioned, statement dates can move around by a day or two.

Message 6 of 7
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

No.  Often the approval date is the statement closing date but not always. 

Though I wish they did because that's the way I like.  I have tried chatting at least 3 times to adjust one of my newer cards but every rep managed to get it wrong.  Smiley Frustrated  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.