Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex upgrade, downgrade question.

tag
multiplicity
Established Member

Amex upgrade, downgrade question.

Hi, I just accepted an offer to upgrade my BCE to BCP for a $150 bonus and no AF for the first year. When would I be able to downgrade the card to avoid getting amex mad at me? 12 mos? 24? I only accepted because of the bonus, but for the future it doesn't make sense for me to keep with the AF.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex upgrade, downgrade question.

@multiplicity wrote:

Hi, I just accepted an offer to upgrade my BCE to BCP for a $150 bonus and no AF for the first year. When would I be able to downgrade the card to avoid getting amex mad at me? 12 mos? 24? I only accepted because of the bonus, but for the future it doesn't make sense for me to keep with the AF.

Thanks Smiley Happy

I'm guessing 24 months but I'd defer to the Amex experts like @K-in-Boston @FinStar and @Aim_High 

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 10
zerofire
Valued Contributor

I would think that point where they charge you the AF is when you call and start negotiating again. Remember downgrading is a effect not a cause. You find the card not to your tastes so you offer AmEx to fix the pain points. If they do, great, if not then you roll out the consequences. Make them work for your business. They only really can do something one sided if you close the account. That is because you are still leaving them a chance to work for you with just a downgrade.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 3 of 10
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@multiplicity wrote:

I'm guessing 24 months but I'd defer to the Amex experts like @K-in-Boston @FinStar and @Aim_High 

I don't consider myself remotely in the same AMEX league as @K-in-Boston or @FinStar, @SouthJamaica, but I'll chime in on the topic.  The standard guidance from my understanding is that the absolute minimum someone should product-change after accepting a SUB or upgrade offer with AMEX is 12 months, and AFTER the annual fee posts.  Even if you believe up-front that the card won't be useful long-term, that at least gives the perception that you gave it a fair test-drive and didn't get it only to churn the bonus.  Calling after the AF posts but before it is paid also puts you more in the driver's seat for potential retention offers since you haven't paid the fee yet.    My personal opinion is that depending on your overall relationship with AMEX or your desire for a future relationship, waiting for 24 months is safer.   The first hazard with turning cards over too quickly with AMEX is the possible clawback of the SUB from the RAT (Rewards Abuse Team.)  The second hazard is whether you're putting a target on your back as a churner who will be denied for SUBs on other new cards.   If you get a card with them and only put enough spend on the card to qualify for the SUB, then sock drawer it or greatly reduce the spending, it gets their attention.  I went through that on my Gold card where I hit the spending hard for a few months, then tapered off to a steady but lower spending rate.  (I planned to keep the card and wasn't just churning the bonus; the SUB spend was just higher than I had planned to put on it routinely.)  They denied a SUB on a Hilton card for me within the first twelve months.  However, after I took advantage of an enhanced MR offer for extra spending and paid the one year annual fee, I was offered the SUB on my Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant.   I'm seriously considering closing my Gold card since I wanted to experiment with MRs but found they don't work as well for me as they do for some cardholders.  But I'm waiting until the end of year two when the annual fee posts to make that call.  If they offer me a retention bonus, I may keep it for a third year.  I was in your situation, @multiplicity, with an upgrade offer from Gold to Platinum.  I knew it was unlikely I would want to keep it past 12 months but I considered the upgrade.  In the end, I decided the offer wasn't sweet enough to overcome the high effective AF for me. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 4 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I've done several Amex upgrades and downgrades.

Yes, keep the upgraded card for at least 12 months.

For retention offer, annual perk (like free nights or companion passes), and organizational purposes it can be simplest/easiest to keep it for a partial year (until the anniversary), then a full year, and then to downgrade once the AF hits again.

But you don't necessarily have to keep it for a full year after the anniversary...especially if there are no annual perks.

Example: I got EDP in April 2015.

I downgraded after a year due to the loss of the Costco deal.

I upgraded back to EDP for 25k in June 2020.

Then I downgraded around late November or early December 2021 (the ED card shipped in early Dec, at least).

Then I upgraded again (40k) in January 2022.

June 2020 - April 2021 was an incomplete year.

April 2021 - Nov/Dec 2021 was an incomplete year.

But together they are more than 12 months. And the RAT did not complain. In fact I got a 40k upgrade offer a month and a half later.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Have you run the math on the BCP ?  For me it's one of the easiest cards to justify with an AF.  

The breakeven point for grocery spending is around $1,600 which would be on average $133 / month.

For me that's a single shopping trip ( if I'm lucky ) so I have no trouble making enough cashback to keep it, not to mention the 3% on gas.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

Have you run the math on the BCP ?  For me it's one of the easiest cards to justify with an AF.  

The breakeven point for grocery spending is around $1,600 which would be on average $133 / month.

For me that's a single shopping trip ( if I'm lucky ) so I have no trouble making enough cashback to keep it, not to mention the 3% on gas.

The rationale behind AF cards isn't to break even. It's to earn more than you'd earn with no-AF cards.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 10
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

The only problem with $1600 as a break-even point is that you're only trying to cover the annual fee, but not replacing the rewards you would have earned with another card, @pizzadude

When comparing the Blue Cash Everyday to the Blue Cash Preferred, and since the BCE would earn 3% on groceries with no AF, the breakeven point between those two versions is about double your calculations (or $3200). 

• BCE: 3% x 3200 = $96
  • BCP: 6% x 3200 = $192 (less the $95 AF) = $97

So at rough numbers, if your grocery/streaming spend to get the 6% is less than $3200 a year, you're probably better off with the BCE and no-AF.  If you spend $300 or more, you'll slowly earn more than 3% as you spend up the $6K annual cap.   If you spend exactly $6000 and not a penny more, you'll earn an effective NET return of 4.4% (not the gross return of 6% before the AF), before adding in the enhancements of streaming at 6% which is uncapped and counts over the $6K grocery.  Of course, if you spend more than $6K on groceries, you're rapidly lowering your rate of return.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 8 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Somehow, it seems the last couple replies of the discussion isn't related to the OP's original question.

@multiplicitysimply asked "When would I be able to downgrade the card to avoid getting amex mad at me? 12 mos? 24?", but never said anything about break-even points, recovery of the AF, or net returns. While the math could be of some relevance, the OP also stated "but for the future it doesn't make sense for me to keep with the AF."

With that being said, the OP's original question as far as the ideal time to downgrade seems to have been covered by some of the responses. 

Message 9 of 10
multiplicity
Established Member

I appreciate all the responses! I think I'd just rather use a card like custom cash for 5% on groceries with no AF in the future. I have AOD 3% and venmo card which gets 3% on the top category so the 3% on gas isn't a big draw to me right now. But the card has been in the sock drawer for months since I got a chase card with a 5% grocery bonus, figured I'll take the extra 1% on groceries for as long as it makes sense with no AF plus with the sub I can pay the AF for one year without feeling like I'm really losing out if I need to to remain in amex's good graces.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.