Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex vs. Chase question

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amex vs. Chase question

@Anonymous wrote:

I am not sure you can get CSP/CSR with that score though. Gold is more likely, Plat is a bit risky.

So you are saying that there is a difference between Gold and Plat?   I thought conventional wisdom here was that all the charges have the same (or at least very similar) underwriting.

Message 11 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did a bit over a month ago. But also go added to a 10k credit line and have now already got prequals for CSP.

So waiting, as stated, but can only garden so long as wedding dates dont move. So I can either try for something that nets rewards in September to make final payments or I end up paying cash.

And there is no sense in not trying.

Message 12 of 36
jb1280
Valued Member

If you fly Delta regularly through airports that have Sky Clubs, and make the airline, Uber, Saks, and dining credits work, the Gold/Platinum combo is absolutely the best
in terms of benefits and earning ability.

Message 13 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check for pre-approval on the Amex site.

If you go for Amex, the $200 travel credit can be used more efficiently on Delta as follows:

Log on to delta on the Desktop site - not the mobile app. Buy one or more $50 Delta Gift Cards - not a higher value.

These will trigger the Airline credit AND you'll get 250 Rewards points for each card.

Untitled 2.png

Message 14 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think gold/plat is a good combo for you. You should be able to see if you’re prequal.
Message 15 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am not sure you can get CSP/CSR with that score though. Gold is more likely, Plat is a bit risky.

So you are saying that there is a difference between Gold and Plat?   I thought conventional wisdom here was that all the charges have the same (or at least very similar) underwriting.

no clue. I know you can get gold at 650, i don't know what's the minimum for plat.

Message 16 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you go for Amex, the $200 travel credit can be used more efficiently on Delta as follows:

Log on to delta on the Desktop site - not the mobile app. Buy one or more $50 Delta Gift Cards - not a higher value.

These will trigger the Airline credit AND you'll get 250 Rewards points for each card.

Untitled 2.png

Thanks for this tip! I heard that in a video and wasnt sure how it worked!

Message 17 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I think gold/plat is a good combo for you. You should be able to see if you’re prequal.

Is everyone checking prequals through Amex site? or Card Match? Or are these ultimately the same thing?

Message 18 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The two real takeaways are desktop site only and $50 max. The $53 charge was actually the charges on a flight redemption with points - I didn't expect Amex to cover it, but it did.

Message 19 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The two real takeaways are desktop site only and $50 max. The $53 charge was actually the charges on a flight redemption with points - I didn't expect Amex to cover it, but it did.

it seems amex credit will cover anything that is less than 100 usd, and not explicitly labeled "gift card".

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.