Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard

I was planning a vacation this spring but that plan has been put on hold due to health issues in my family.  I'm going to have between 280,000 to 300,000 hilton honors points by next fall and was thinking about taking a vacation then when health issues in my family are over.  I was watching some youtube videos thinking about what I would like to do on vacation (it's been years since I've had one) and I kept watching videos on the capital limited train going from DC to Chicago.  I think would enjoy this getting a superliner bedroom and taking a relaxing ride on the capital limited train overnight and arriving in chicago union station relaxed and not feeling rushed like I did when I always flew before.  I would be getting a round trip ticket taking the train back to DC as well.    

My question is how difficult is it with Bank of America credit card approvals.  I currently have 8 inquires on my experian report with 4 of them falling off in August next year.  I also currently have 6 with Equifax and 4 with Transunion but by August next year they will be down to 1 for both Transunion and Equifax.  Should I wait to apply for the Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard till a bunch of these inquiries fall off or is bank of America pretty lenient with inquiries.  Scores currently are EX 772, EQ 782, TU 778 I have no current relationship with Bank of America but I did have one in the past with Merrill Edge.  

Basically I got the hotel stay covered with points and I'm looking to see if I can get the train ride ride covered by points as well.  If I can't I will just buy the ticket but I'd like to see if I could get the train ride for free as well or if not at least rack up more guest rewards to use for a potential later trip on something like the Empire Builder, Crescent or Auto Train.  

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard

I would advise wait until you have 1 INQ becuase banks like to see fewer INQ, they are picky.
Message 2 of 13
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

I believe the new BOA "rule" is not more than 3 new accounts in 12 months (or 7 new accounts in 12 months if you have a deposit account).  

Where do you stand with new accounts?  And/or how recent are the remaining inquiries (enough thay BOA may be assuming a new account will start posting in a month or two)?  

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@I_Love_Cards wrote:

I believe the new BOA "rule" is not more than 3 new accounts in 12 months (or 7 new accounts in 12 months if you have a deposit account).  

Where do you stand with new accounts?  And/or how recent are the remaining inquiries (enough thay BOA may be assuming a new account will start posting in a month or two)?  

If I wait until august next year I will only have 1 account that is less than a year old and that's my new Amex Hilton Honors card.  My Amex Hilton Honors card hasn't posted yet to my credit report but when it does in the next few weeks that will make 8 experian inquiries.  If I wait till august all my inquiries except for one will be over a year old.    

Message 4 of 13
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@I_Love_Cards wrote:

If I wait until august next year I will only have 1 account that is less than a year old and that's my new Amex Hilton Honors card.  My Amex Hilton Honors card hasn't posted yet to my credit report but when it does in the next few weeks that will make 8 experian inquiries.  If I wait till august all my inquiries except for one will be over a year old.    

How about new accounts?  How many of those 8 inquiries led to accounts?  And when were they opened?  

Do you have fewer than 3 new accounts opened in the last 12 month?  

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@I_Love_Cards wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@I_Love_Cards wrote:

How about new accounts?  How many of those 8 inquiries led to accounts?  And when were they opened?  

Do you have fewer than 3 new accounts opened in the last 12 month?  

2 are from my mortgage they fall off my credit report in January.  1 from my amex everyday card falls off my credit report in may.  1 from FNBO and the other from US Bank fall off my credit report in July and August.  That leaves my 2 inquires one from Citi and the other from Chase which I both got this year.  By August of next year both will be over 12 months old.  That will leave my Amex Hilton Honors card being the only account opened in 12 months.  So I was wrong earlier I won't have a total of 4 but 3 inquires left on my Experian report by August next year.  

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My question is, how often will you use the Amtrak card in the future? The problem with cards like this is that they earn points very slowly, if a person has other daily drivers and are in different points systems etc. 

If it were me, I'd look into a differnt travel card that's more universal. Or that has a future beyond this one trip. 

I looked into this card once when i was planning a trip, and the points don't go as far as one would think. 

Message 7 of 13
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

The new BoA 3/24, 7/24 rules count new cards not new inquiries as far as I know so I personally think you are eligible and have a good chance for the AF free version but not quite a slam dunk.  

I can share my own DP: I applied and was instantly approved of the World Elite Verizon (with $79 AF) for $12K when it was running the 40K miles + $100 promo SUB.  It was the last card I went for at the end my 4 months slow spree, and at the time I was at 3/24, had 5 inquiries on EX and this card brought it to 6.  BoA pulled EX and EX only.  I have had BoA bank accounts for 10 years. 

The card itself is great if you ride Amtrak a lot.  Besides bonus category it also earns 1x for every dollar spent and Amtrak points are valued by TPG (and as a frequent Amtrak rider I agree with him) at 2.5 cpp so it is also a surprisingly good catch all card to use for all your non category spending.  The SUB alone at 12K points will not be enough to give you a bedroom from DC to Chicago since you will need 30K points to have a shot at a bedroom, but a roomette is quite possible especially if you catch a low bucket rate.  

GL and happy holidays! 

Message 8 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FieryDance wrote:

The new BoA 3/24, 7/24 rules count new cards not new inquiries as far as I know so I personally think you are eligible and have a good chance for the AF free version but not quite a slam dunk.  

You are correct, their policies target new accounts and not inquiries.  BoA is relatively insensitive to inquiries.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Honestly I dont think the rule is even a hard rule as have seen so big hitters here get the PR for example that are clearly over their rules, but they do have thick profiles and have had BofA deposit accounts as well..  Basically I think it is alot more flexible rule if they like you and not tons of data points on it really out there i have seen.  I am WAY over their limit of new accounts, but pre-qualified with fixed apr's for all cards except the PR card... Whether that means an approval who knows.. Amtrak and Alaska appears to be a bit harder to get as well than say the bofa 3-2-1 rewards card, etc.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.