cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another failed attempt, what am I doing wrong?

tag
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

Another failed attempt, what am I doing wrong?

I read all the success stories, I think its great, but I can't seem to catch a break. I got an invitation for a Choice Privileges Visa Signature card full of bonuses so I applied since I hold the hotel card membership already.  I was only approved for a platinum card at $650, my 2nd lowest CL.  I called customer service and was told to call the credit department on Monday. The lady started off by saying she couldn't do a product change, and after asking a multitude of questions, refused to raise the CL beause my balances are spread over too many cards. I explained these are store cards used for various purposes. My TU FICO 734, no lates, no derogs, only inquiries besides hers are car loan August 2012. Other recent problems: Capital One denied CLI one card, called EO, EO said that card ineligble for CLI ever apply online for CLI on other 2 Capital One cards both are eligible for CLI-applied online and denied.  Comenity Bank won't correct any errors on my accounts they have made since they took over.  Fingerhut continually reports my account opened and closed, temporary CLI and then a CLD because I didn't make a purchase-score dropped 30 points.  I have yet to have much luck with customer service of any company.  They either make promises they don't keep like AMEX, or aren't willing to give you a chance.  What am I not doing?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Shelly313
New Contributor

Re: Another failed attempt, what am I doing wrong?

Have you checked your all 3 of your credit reports?

Started Gardening 4/3/2014

Current Score: (04/2014) EX: 629 I TU: 650 I EQ: 654

In my Wallet:
Barclays NFL: $2000 I VS: $700 I Discover: $1600 I AU: Amex ED $2000
Message 2 of 25
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Reighn9 wrote:

I read all the success stories, I think its great, but I can't seem to catch a break. I got an invitation for a Choice Privileges Visa Signature card full of bonuses so I applied since I hold the hotel card membership already.  I was only approved for a platinum card at $650, my 2nd lowest CL.  I called customer service and was told to call the credit department on Monday. The lady started off by saying she couldn't do a product change, and after asking a multitude of questions, refused to raise the CL beause my balances are spread over too many cards. I explained these are store cards used for various purposes. My TU FICO 734, no lates, no derogs, only inquiries besides hers are car loan August 2012. Other recent problems: Capital One denied CLI one card, called EO, EO said that card ineligble for CLI ever apply online for CLI on other 2 Capital One cards both are eligible for CLI-applied online and denied.  Comenity Bank won't correct any errors on my accounts they have made since they took over.  Fingerhut continually reports my account opened and closed, temporary CLI and then a CLD because I didn't make a purchase-score dropped 30 points.  I have yet to have much luck with customer service of any company.  They either make promises they don't keep like AMEX, or aren't willing to give you a chance.  What am I not doing?

If Comenity and Fingerhut are refusing to report correctly just file complaints with the CFPB. You need to address the overall problem which is you are carrying to many balances on too many cards, doesnt matter if you had $1 on them FICO is going to ding you pretty good for many with balances. Do not apply for any more credit until you have corrected the problem, once you do, ask for CLIs on your current cards and then app for a few good ones3. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 25
Shelly313
New Contributor

I agree, and look at all 3 reports too.

Started Gardening 4/3/2014

Current Score: (04/2014) EX: 629 I TU: 650 I EQ: 654

In my Wallet:
Barclays NFL: $2000 I VS: $700 I Discover: $1600 I AU: Amex ED $2000
Message 4 of 25
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

What is  the CFPB? I've reported problems before on other companies to other sources with no results. I have checked all 3 reports, checked them before I called for the recon. I asked her if the utilization was too high and she said no. She said I was showing responsibility with my credit but wasn't giving me a CLI. I'm not appling for any other new credit, this was just  a good rewards offer. I had been asking for CLI's on current cards with no luck. Companies want you to use their cards but punish you when you do. I keep paying down the balances on these cards every month.  How many cards are too many to carry balances on?

Message 5 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Lets break this town:

1. Choice Privilages by Chase?

2. Could you list all your cards, limits, balances?

3. I would close fingerhut... it's a rebuilding card, the prices are terrible so even if you do shop there, you probably should stop! and regardless how small this new choice card may be depending what you post for your other limits, I would rather close down your biggest up and down card causing issues on your credit report and start simplifying!

4. What is wrong with Comenity and reporting?

Message 6 of 25
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Lets break this town:

1. Choice Privilages by Chase?  Barclays Bank  provides extra rewards for staying in Choice Hotel properties.

2. Could you list all your cards, limits, balances?  AMEX  NPSL, Discover $10,000 ($1100), Military Star $7200 ($2174)  Target  $5000 ($2880)  Sams Club $4300 ($1843) Lowes $4000 ($800) Walmart $3100 ($680) Sears $3000 ($0) Capital One MC $2750 ($980) Chevron $2500 ($635) DFCU MC $2000 ($200)  Credit One $1600 ($0) Capital One MC $1500 ($450) Amazon  $1400 ($325) Fingerhut $1300 ($0) Shamrock $1100 ($0) Catherines $1020 ($0) Shell $1000 ($0)  Choice Visa (new) $650 ($0) Bealls $600 ($0) Haband $600 ($0) Blair $600 ($0) HSBC-Discover $500 ($0)this one is now owned by Capital  One

3. I would close fingerhut... it's a rebuilding card, the prices are terrible so even if you do shop there, you probably should stop!  I rarely have bought anything at Fingerhut.  I only found out recently this was a rebuilding card. I have had an account with them off and on since the 1960s and never had any trouble until they switched to their current bank affiliation about 2 years ago.

and regardless how small this new choice card may be depending what you post for your other limits, I would rather close down your biggest up and down card causing issues on your credit report and start simplifying!

4. What is wrong with Comenity and reporting?  Comenity changed the account number and open date on one of my accounts, account was open before Comenity took over, then both accounts reported. I tried to get the account combined back as one with the earlier open date and they deleted the earlier account. Another account is reporting a later open date than the actual date now too.  Just noticed this one. Also they reported my CL lower than it was and refused to change it. I sent a copy of my statement showing the correct CL and they insisted they were reporting correcting. All of my accounts now owned by Comenity were open and in good standing before Comenity bought them.

Some of my cards are still suffering from emergencies, but I 've been making serious payments every month. I wanted the hotel rewards card because I'm planning a cross-country trip this summer. I'm also trying for better bank cards. I'm not at all happy with Capital One.  My credit reports look good except for the balanes, I have 1 car loan that still has 4 years to go.  The biggest complaint the CRAs have is no mortgage, and I don't intend to refinance my home to please them. My scores range from 695 to 781 depending which one you look at.  The one used on this new card was 734.

Message 7 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

You called the Barclay back door to the credit analysts Nd they wouldn't raise the CL after looking at credit report?
Message 8 of 25
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Ultimately you only want 1 reporting a balance to the CRAs. Looks like you have 11 out of 21 reporting with a balance, this is more than half. You need to work on getting these paid off.

Message 9 of 25
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
You called the Barclay back door to the credit analysts Nd they wouldn't raise the CL after looking at credit report?

That's right. She asked me a lot of questions, told me I  was handling my credit responsibly, had good spending habits, asked about my job and income, which met her standards-she even thanked me for my service (I''m retired USAF). We spoke for about 20 minutes. At the end, she told me she wouldn't raise it, she would send me a letter and I could get a free copy of my credit report.  Oh when she why I wanted this card, she admitted she didn't know anything about this Hotel rewards program.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.