Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any non-Chase card with Primary Rental CDW

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any non-Chase card with Primary Rental CDW

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/car-rental-loss-and-damag...

This is the page that lists all the policies in full legal verbiage...this is the link that would define what secondary means. However your screenshot says secondary coverage in multiple places.
Message 11 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowfactor wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. USB Altitude could be a good candidate, but I need to wait for another 2 months to reach 0/6 before applying. I think Primary CDW is supported by Visa Infinite instead of issuers (Chase or US Bank), right?

I'm not aware of any 0/6 rule from US. Bank. You need to have a relationship with the bank in order tio apply.

I was atleast at 4 new cards in 6 months and LOL+/24 when I got the Altitude card.

Certain Chase Visa Signatures offer primary coverage.

Just a FYI : If overseas all secondary coverage becomes primary. So if you plan to rent cars only overseas you have your choice of many cards that offer rental insurance

0/6 may be not an enforced rule for US Bank. It was recommended at Message 76 of 120 at https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Former-U-S-Bank-Solutions-Rep-Ask-me-anything/td-p/5365774/page/8

I do have relationship with US Bank, with a Checking, Cash+, and Radisson card. Not sure if US Bank will issue a third credit card to me when I'm on 1/6.

You said "I was atleast at 4 new cards in 6 months and LOL+/24 when I got the Altitude card." Can I know when did you get approved? Thank you.

Message 12 of 36
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shadowfactor wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. USB Altitude could be a good candidate, but I need to wait for another 2 months to reach 0/6 before applying. I think Primary CDW is supported by Visa Infinite instead of issuers (Chase or US Bank), right?

I'm not aware of any 0/6 rule from US. Bank. You need to have a relationship with the bank in order tio apply.

I was atleast at 4 new cards in 6 months and LOL+/24 when I got the Altitude card.

Certain Chase Visa Signatures offer primary coverage.

Just a FYI : If overseas all secondary coverage becomes primary. So if you plan to rent cars only overseas you have your choice of many cards that offer rental insurance

0/6 may be not an enforced rule for US Bank. It was recommended at Message 76 of 120 at https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Former-U-S-Bank-Solutions-Rep-Ask-me-anything/td-p/5365774/page/8

I do have relationship with US Bank, with a Checking, Cash+, and Radisson card. Not sure if US Bank will issue a third credit card to me when I'm on 1/6.

You said "I was atleast at 4 new cards in 6 months and LOL+/24 when I got the Altitude card." Can I know when did you get approved? Thank you.

January 2018 is when I first got the card.

If your accounts are in good standing and your credit is good I would be willing to bet that USB would approve you for the AR regardless of your supposed 0/6 status.

I've seen datapoints about how conserative USB can be, but those were normally for new customers. Having a relationship with the bank is like having the keys to the castle.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 13 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @shadowfactor have you been able to avail of confirm the Amex cards to cover as primary cdw for international rentals? All of my rentals have been overseas -_-
Message 14 of 36
rbentley
Established Contributor

I am learning something new here.  I have always viewed the "secondary" language as meaning that my regular auto insurance would firsst be on the hook and that they would pick up the difference.  I have assumed that if I didn't have auto insurance that the card would provide that coverage.  Can someone weigh in on how this works?  What coverage do I get with a CDW credit card benefit if I dont have other auto insurance?  I am going to have to look at all my cards that offer this much more closely.

Message 15 of 36
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@shadowfactor

As far as relationship goes, does my 5-month-old Cash+ and gold checking count? Ha.

[2/2019]
Message 16 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, for most issuers, primary means just that, it is first. I have the CSP just for this reason. The only other card issuers I know of that offer it are USAA or the service mentioned above from AmEx. Secondary means it may only pay after a deductible, after your personal policy has paid if you have one, and/or may not cover all of the damages. Please note, damages are typically limited to the value of the rental vehicle. No liability coverage or medical coverage applies. Luckily, secondary coverage typically becomes primary when you are outside the US and your policy won't apply or when you are not a vehicle owner and therefore lack a policy. Other restrictions may apply and you should consult the TOS for the particular policy. For instance, CSP excludes most luxury and high-end cars, but will cover the full value of the rental vehicle when manufactured. CSR allows luxury and sports, of course, but has a $75,000 limit. Still, none offer liability, just coverage for the rental vehicle. So, consider your possible medical injuries, those of others, and property liability that are not typically covered. Still it is nice to have primary, rather than pay $20/day to avoid a potential claim on your personal policy. Oh, and that TOS above that said secondary means just that! It is secondary, as is most, NOT primary!
Message 17 of 36
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have read before, however, that if you don't actually have auto insurance (for example, people who don't drive/own a car), the secondary kicks in. 

[2/2019]
Message 18 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdbkiang wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have read before, however, that if you don't actually have auto insurance (for example, people who don't drive/own a car), the secondary kicks in. 

Did you read post 17?
Message 19 of 36
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jdbkiang wrote:

Did you read post 17?

Haha, I thought I did, but I guess I didn't read carefully. 

[2/2019]
Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.