cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone burned Amex and gotten back in the good graces with them?

tag
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

Anyone burned Amex and gotten back in the good graces with them?

Its been 12 years since my Amex burn and I am still black balled with them, which I get but they got bailed out as well. Wouldve liked to see if I could get a Business card with them since Ive heard they do SP on Personal but I think I will just say forget it...

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Anyone burned Amex and gotten back in the good graces with them?

@AzCreditGuy wrote:

Its been 12 years since my Amex burn and I am still black balled with them, which I get but they got bailed out as well. Wouldve liked to see if I could get a Business card with them since Ive heard they do SP on Personal but I think I will just say forget it...

There are a number of members who burned them and got back into their good graces.   If you are patient I'm sure some of them will outline their own experiences. 

If you're a current cardholder odds are that an application for an additional card will only be a SP even for a business card as sole proprietor but triggering a HP instead is not rare. 

(9/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 36
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Forgot to note that if your specific interest is in a business card you can report your own post as inappropriate content and request that a mod relocate the thread over to the Business Credit subforum. 

(9/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 36
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

If you burned them for over $5K then just move on as you probably won't get back in with them anytime soon! Personal or business wise. I've read some DPs of 20+ years before getting off the dog house for $10K IIBs!

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 8y1m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 4 of 36
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@JR_TX wrote:

If you burned them for over $5K then just move on as you probably won't get back in with them anytime soon! Personal or business wise. I've read some DPs of 20+ years before getting off the dog house for $10K IIBs!

I searched Approvals for: IIB Amex

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/AMEX-after-IIB-5-2-years/m-p/4470326 was the second result. There OP reports burning them for $14k and getting back in a little more than 5 years later.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 36
StillKicking
Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@JR_TX wrote:

I searched Approvals for: IIB Amex

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/AMEX-after-IIB-5-2-years/m-p/4470326 was the second result. There OP reports burning them for $14k and getting back in a little more than 5 years later.

I think this is a pretty rare occasion.

I'm with JR on this one. I burned Amex in my BK7 back in 09 and I'm almost positive for less than $5K and I'm still on the blacklist. At least, no prequal offers.  

Fico 8 Scores 10-19-20
Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

2005 charge off for $2700. Never paid back. 

2 cards with them this year. green and Hilton. (Opened March, August respectively) 

Message 7 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes! chapter 7 in 2007 burned them for around 3k. Checked every couple years. Checked a month ago and was pre-approved for 3 cards. Chose the gold which was the one I burned them with. Approved and has my member since 1999 printed on the card. My DTI is extremely low. Paid cash for vehicles and morgage paid off many years ago. Fico 8 scores 735-745. One 30d late Capital one in Jan 2020. Stupid mistake on autopay. No fault but my own. No collections report clean except for one 30D They hard pulled Experian. Good Luck! Let me know if you have any more questions. I'm a self-employed small business owner and will be applying for a business card next month with them. I'm sick over the amount of points I could have accumulated over the last decade for business expenses.

Message 8 of 36
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

OP as you can see that the data points are all over the place. Seems like to get the answer you're looking for you may have to be your own data point on this one. I'm sure others will continue to chime in with their experience.

Amex is very interesting in situations of such. As with most things with credit it's YMMV and it seems that life after burning them is no different.

Best of luck to you if yo do indeed decide to go for it. Do chime in if you'd like if you decide to give it a go.
Message 9 of 36
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@AzCreditGuy I burned them in college (green card....left a balance of $6800). About 10 years later, they gave me a gold card through my employer (govt.) for business/travel expenses. Another 5-6 years after that, I applied and was approved for both the Gold and BCE and they were still backdating so I guess I am a lucky one. Maybe they considered the fact that I was a stupid college kid and they gave me another shot. Today, Amex is still my oldest tradeline (26+ years). 

Good luck! 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.