cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone burned Amex and gotten back in the good graces with them?

tag
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone burned Amex and gotten back in the good graces with them?

@Anonymous wrote:

OP - have you applied recently and been denied without a HP?

Asking because if you're just trying the preapproval tool and coming up empty, that doesn't always mean you're still blacklisted. 

@Anonymous Pre-apporavls only and wont bother applying, im in the garden and need to be until I apply for a mortgage, hence my credit spree in 2019. I wanted to apply for a business amex and called to see if they did a SP on Personal and the rep was not helpful 

Message 21 of 36
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

Amex was a creditor in my Chapter 13 bankruptcy to the tune of 5 digits (and the first digit was crooked). The payment plan gave them half what I owed, I got back in a year after final discharge (so 6 years) while the Chapter 13 was still on my report. I did not have to make good on the other half or go through Optima- got a Green to my pleasant surprise.

Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | Amazon/Synchrony 7.5k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 22 of 36
Conceptual23
Frequent Contributor

I'm curious about this as well.  I also had an Amex (two, actually) back in my early credit days 12+ years ago and dropped the ball.  I would love a second chance with them.

Starting FICO 8s | 06/2018: EX 601 ✦ EQ 605 ✦ TU 590
Current FICO 8s | 9/2022: EX 732 ✦ EQ 739✦ TU 743
2023 Goal Score: 760+

Business Cards:

Message 23 of 36
sccredit
Valued Contributor

I burned them for $26k on a business card in CH7 in 2017. I have written off any chances of them letting me back in Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 36
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@newmomnewme wrote:

@Anonymous Congrats!!! I am glad to hear they are still backdating. Did you post on the Approvals board?  I didn't know they were still backdating...I am sure others would like to know. 

Just to clarify, @newmomnewme  they are NOT backdating. They will recognize if you previously had a relationship with them and may print your "Member since" date with the original date, but credit-reporting wise, it will still be a new account.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 25 of 36
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 I was hoping it was good news...I must have made It just year or so before they stopped. I got my cards in 2014 and they backdated me 20 years! 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 26 of 36
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@newmomnewme wrote:

@OmarGB9 I was hoping it was good news...I must have made It just year or so before they stopped. I got my cards in 2014 and they backdated me 20 years! 

Yes I believe they stopped that in early 2015.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 27 of 36
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

I have second hand experience with several bk examples, one was in the 20k range the other 35k. discharge over 12 years for both.  neither could get a card.  the 35 was repaid (huge inheritance) and now has 4 cards, biz and consumer.  amex retains their debt.  the law firms that work with them appear to have an inside track to internally flagging someone as being current to the point where the approval wall is turned back on almost instantly

Message 28 of 36
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I had about $3k charged off in 2008 and went to collections.  I stopped using credit cards after that until 2017 when I tried them again and got approved.

I did pay them back in full, which I think makes a big difference.  Might have gone differently if I'd negotiated a payoff.

My cards all say member since 92, but not my credit report.

Message 29 of 36
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I had about $3k charged off in 2008 and went to collections.  I stopped using credit cards after that until 2017 when I tried them again and got approved.

I did pay them back in full, which I think makes a big difference.  Might have gone differently if I'd negotiated a payoff.

My cards all say member since 92, but not my credit report.

sorry, you did not use cards for a decade?  but you are mr disco, how can that be?   but really, i get it - 2008 was awful and I think you are right, pay them back and all is good, great that you did that

Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.