cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App for Macy's or Lowe's today? Which one?

tag
awdsmama
Established Contributor

App for Macy's or Lowe's today? Which one?

Okay, I got approved for the Discover IT yesterday and my Visa app thru my CU is pending (I got the alert they already pulled EX)

I want to app for one more card today to hopefully get me to 3 (if of course CU approves-worst case there I can default to their secured card though). 

Macy's or Lowe's? 

I want Macy's because I love their sales, and like the idea it could graduate to an Amex.

I like Lowe's because of the generous CLI's I hear about and it would be a nice card to have when I buy a house. 

I guess Wal Mart could be an option as well to get their free FICO perk.  But I did app for them in early December and was denied my ficos then were 601 and 615 I think.  They pulled EX and it is a much cleaner report now (no CAs now) but still not "perfect". 

Advice on either card? 

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: App for Macy's or Lowe's today? Which one?

@awdsmama wrote:

Okay, I got approved for the Discover IT yesterday and my Visa app thru my CU is pending (I got the alert they already pulled EX)

I want to app for one more card today to hopefully get me to 3 (if of course CU approves-worst case there I can default to their secured card though). 

Macy's or Lowe's? 

I want Macy's because I love their sales, and like the idea it could graduate to an Amex.

I like Lowe's because of the generous CLI's I hear about and it would be a nice card to have when I buy a house. 

I guess Wal Mart could be an option as well to get their free FICO perk.  But I did app for them in early December and was denied my ficos then were 601 and 615 I think.  They pulled EX and it is a much cleaner report now (no CAs now) but still not "perfect". 

Advice on either card? 

I would look at it this way: in the long term, where are you going to do most of your shopping? You want a card that you feel you can use for a long time. Also, I highly recommend applying in store, if possible. Or, if they offer a discount online for online account opening, and you've been itching to shop at one of the particular stores, do it that way! What's the point in opening a retail card just for "fun" and missing out on your discount!

Then again, I don't want to pressure you into running to Macy's or Lowe's today and going on a moderate shopping spree Smiley Tongue It's just better to plan retail card apps that offer discounts at account opening when you know you're going to make a decent-sized purchase Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 42
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Welll originally I was going to get the Lowe's because when I buy a house I thought it would be good to have if a hot water heater or washer/dryer went out etc.  But um, I also wasn't expecting my Discover limit to be 4,000 so I don't think that part is a huge factor now. 

And yeah, I was going to do the app in store today, esp if Macy's-- it is their Presidents Day Weekend sale after all hahaha!

Hmmm. 

App Free since 2/2013
Message 3 of 42
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@awdsmama wrote:

Welll originally I was going to get the Lowe's because when I buy a house I thought it would be good to have if a hot water heater or washer/dryer went out etc.  But um, I also wasn't expecting my Discover limit to be 4,000 so I don't think that part is a huge factor now. 

And yeah, I was going to do the app in store today, esp if Macy's-- it is their Presidents Day Weekend sale after all hahaha!

Hmmm. 

Hmm...in this situation, I say go for the Macy's now. The hot water heater and washer/dryer going out is a good time down the road, and who knows! You may wind up getting a house with newly (or recently) installed appliances! I bet you'll have a great credit history by the time something like that poops out, and if and when it does happen, you can open the Lowe's account then and get the great financing offers at account opening Smiley Wink Besides, if you apply for Lowe's now, the card won't have much activity until you need that big purchase. Macy's will wind up being a more active card in your wallet that will work for you!

Good luck with the app, and happy discounts upon discounts shopping! Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 42
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Good point DayBreak...ugh I hate app'ing in store though, denial on the computer is so much easier to swallow.  But I will do it ;-)

App Free since 2/2013
Message 5 of 42
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Go for lowes. Cant beat the CLI's plus your getting history in with GE they will take very good care of you!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 42
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

Macys will approve you in the low 600s... for their store account and 700+ for their Amex. (They pull Experian) Its a great store card, you get magazines and coupons in the mail frequently (although some ppl dont like the fact you cant use the coupons for all merchandise ) Another good thing about Macys is that they pretty generous with the CLI...I cannot tell you anything about the Lowe's store card, the only thing i know is they're backed by GE (they're very known to pull Transition) and they're also generous with the CLI . I cant say what's the best card (it depends on your needs) but you should only apply for the cards you're going to use soon..
Message 7 of 42
LS2982
Mega Contributor

The great thing about GE is you dont have to spend a lot to get good CLI's. Make a charge or two and PIF request a CLI every 4 months.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 42
awdsmama
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
The great thing about GE is you dont have to spend a lot to get good CLI's. Make a charge or two and PIF request a CLI every 4 months.

True.

But, what if I app for the Lowe's and get the 0 apr for xx mos but don't need it for bigger purchases?  I'm not going to get that 0% again when I need it right?  Sooo maybe that is a reason to wait on that, then when I need the new washer/dryer etc I can app and utilize the 0%.

Although YES I do agree their CLIs are great!!! 

App Free since 2/2013
Message 9 of 42
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Those promos are always available. Its either 5% off whole purchase or promo financing you get to pick.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.