Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App order

tag
red259
Super Contributor

App order

A few days ago I picked up Citi AA plat. I am looking at the following cards now Amex PRG, Amex Green, Barclays AA. Best order to app in? Should I do the prg and green in the same day? Would it be one pull? These are all kind of smaller signup offers and I'm strongly considering going into the garden for two years after my citi premier reapp next month. . 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: App order

I've heard Amex will let you do one revolver and one charger on the same day.  I've also heard you can do one revolver but there are no limits on chargers.  I'm not sure which is true.

I plan to app for the EDP, PRG, and green in a couple months, so this would be good info to have.

Message 2 of 9
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@red259 wrote:

A few days ago I picked up Citi AA plat. I am looking at the following cards now Amex PRG, Amex Green, Barclays AA. Best order to app in? Should I do the prg and green in the same day? Would it be one pull? These are all kind of smaller signup offers and I'm strongly considering going into the garden for two years after my citi premier reapp next month. . 

Really up to you, I suggest you not apply for Amex and Barclay cards until after you apply for Citi Premier next month. I think Citi is the hardest to be approved out of the 3 lenders and they can be picky about the number of inquiries and new accounts. Barclays typically reports as new account within a few days. Amex will take a while. Citi seems to report new account pretty quickly lately. So you probably will have two new accounts and two new Experian inquiries by the Citi Premier application vs if you wait, you will have one new account and one new Experian inquiry -- probably not that much difference but who knows what Citi would say about it... so it's up to you...

Edit: actually I saw quite a few data points of people getting approved for Citi cards despite many recent inquiries and new accounts, so YMMV. It really depends if you are on their good side or not.

Also, Barclay sometimes likes to see some usage of their cards before approving more credit. If you are not immediately approved, it will probably help to show some usage on existing card during a recon call.

Amex typically pulls EX and Barclays typically pulls TU so it does not really matter what order you apply for them. PRG has more bonus than green, so my order will be Amex PRG or Barclays AA, and then Amex green all on the same day. I only have personal experience of one pull from Amex when I applied and approved for a credit and a charge card on the same day. From what I read, you should get one pull from Amex but YMMV, just make sure to call them to get them approved all on the same day to increase chance for merging pulls.

Message 3 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I've heard Amex will let you do one revolver and one charger on the same day.  I've also heard you can do one revolver but there are no limits on chargers.  I'm not sure which is true.

I plan to app for the EDP, PRG, and green in a couple months, so this would be good info to have.

I have actually heard of people only doing a charge card and revolver in the same day with amex. I know I have done that in the past. Two charge cards in the same day I don't know if they will do that. 

;
Message 4 of 9
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I still don't understand why the people on this board keep going on app sprees and CLI sprees.  It's no wonder that the banks and credit unions get spooked.  Why not get a card, wait 4-6 months and then apply for another card?  Your relationship with the banks is like a romantic relationship:  if you seem too eager, you scare the other person away.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 5 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@csryang wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Really up to you, I suggest you not apply for Amex and Barclay cards until after you apply for Citi Premier next month. I think Citi is the hardest to be approved out of the 3 lenders and they can be picky about the number of inquiries and new accounts. Barclays typically reports as new account within a few days. Amex will take a while. Citi seems to report new account pretty quickly lately. So you probably will have two new accounts and two new Experian inquiries by the Citi Premier application vs if you wait, you will have one new account and one new Experian inquiry -- probably not that much difference but who knows what Citi would say about it... so it's up to you...

Also, Barclay sometimes likes to see some usage of their cards before approving more credit. If you are not immediately approved, it will probably help to show some usage on existing card during a recon call.

Amex typically pulls EX and Barclays typically pulls TU so it does not really matter what order you apply for them. PRG has more bonus than green, so my order will be Amex PRG or Barclays AA, and then Amex green all on the same day. I only have personal experience of one pull from Amex when I applied and approved for a credit and a charge card on the same day. From what I read, you should get one pull from Amex but YMMV, just make sure to call them to get them approved all on the same day to increase chance for merging pulls.

I'm not really inclined to put all the apps off till next month due to upcoming spend I have that I would be able to use these cards on. Actually I think I may run into a problem with citi. My prestige AF will likely post this month and my premier AF will post in September, which I guess means I could not pull the trigger on the premier until October. Not sure if I would be able to get a refund on the AF on the prestige card at that point when I go to PC it to a double cash. May just need to PC the prestige and close the premier and be done with it. 

;
Message 6 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I still don't understand why the people on this board keep going on app sprees and CLI sprees.  It's no wonder that the banks and credit unions get spooked.  Why not get a card, wait 4-6 months and then apply for another card?  Your relationship with the banks is like a romantic relationship:  if you seem too eager, you scare the other person away.

My relationship with the banks is just fine thanks. I don't want to wait 4-6 months for another card. A lot of these apps are based on things like needing points to cap off an award redemption or the fact an upcoming account closure will reset bonus clocks for another two years. 

;
Message 7 of 9
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I see it as free cash/plane ticket on the table and I do not know if I can really let it go like that Smiley Wink  I think applying every 6 months and 1 card per lender is a good advice. Sometimes we have to apply for 2-3 cards from the same lender in a short period of time and this can for sure spooke them. There's some risk involved in this "game" for sure. Definitely choose a style that you are comfortable with. 

@red259 wrote:

@csryang wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I'm not really inclined to put all the apps off till next month due to upcoming spend I have that I would be able to use these cards on. Actually I think I may run into a problem with citi. My prestige AF will likely post this month and my premier AF will post in September, which I guess means I could not pull the trigger on the premier until October. Not sure if I would be able to get a refund on the AF on the prestige card at that point when I go to PC it to a double cash. May just need to PC the prestige and close the premier and be done with it. 

Yeah your situation is tricky. If you are not approved for a new Premier in Octorber, then I agree that you might as well just PC or close your old Prestige and Premier then. I believe that Citi does partial AF refund and it's full refund within 37 days from AF posting.

Message 8 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@csryang wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I see it as free cash/plane ticket on the table and I do not know if I can really let it go like that Smiley Wink  I think applying every 6 months and 1 card per lender is a good advice. Sometimes we have to apply for 2-3 cards from the same lender in a short period of time and this can for sure spooke them. There's some risk involved in this "game" for sure. Definitely choose a style that you are comfortable with. 

@red259 wrote:

@csryang wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Yeah your situation is tricky. If you are not approved for a new Premier in Octorber, then I agree that you might as well just PC or close your old Prestige and Premier then. I believe that Citi does partial AF refund and it's full refund within 37 days from AF posting.

Oh in that case I probably won't make it. If the prestige hits early this month I probably won't be able to get a full refund in October. For 50k offer I'm not sure its worth it for me to pay part of the AF. 

;
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.