Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help understanding AMEX

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help understanding AMEX

Help me out here if you can folks. I am currently having a ridiculous chat conversation with AMEX CS in which I asked if they could confirm that my PRG sign up bonus would be deposited after my second statement cuts next week on the 7th. They said no, it would be deposited after the September 1st statement, to which I replied, "huh??". In July, requested that my due date change to the 2nd of each month instead of the 6th and the confirmation page told me that the change would take place with my September statement. It didn't say anything about not receiving a statement at all in August which is what the CS rep was telling me is the case because I requested the change. Hence why they said I wouldn't be getting any of my MR points until September. This doesn't make any sense to me. Can anyone with AMEX experience clarify if this is correct for me? 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help understanding AMEX

Amex is a mess when it comes to bonuses, take what their CRS said with a grain of salt.  Here is a thread about it.

Message 2 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

MR points from regular 1x/2x/3x spend categories do take an extra month to post, but the signup bonus usually posts within days of meeting minimum spend...even in the middle of a statement period.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

MR points from regular 1x/2x/3x spend categories do take an extra month to post, but the signup bonus usually posts within days of meeting minimum spend...even in the middle of a statement period.

I hope you are correct as I met my bonus spend today and I want to transfer the points to British Airways with the extra 40 percent bonus. 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

That's why I thought! I had the Delta AMEX gold a couple years ago and recieve the sign up bonus points within days of meeting the spend requirement. I'm peeved as hell at AMEX right now. Not just about not receiving the bonus yet, but the fact that I have been told 3 different things by 3 different CSRs. Their people don't seem to know S**t!

Message 5 of 15
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

+1 (and this also applies with cashback cards as well)

I do wonder though if changing the due date of your statement had anything to do with the spending bonus being delayed in this situation because that is weird otherwise.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

While it's rare, when requesting a due date change, it *can* occur that an entire month's statement will get skipped. There were a number of factors on a "cheat sheet" I used to have that would indicate exactly when that would happen. For better accuracy, I would suggest calling in and asking to speak with a supervisor. They should be able to tell you with confidence when your welcome bonus will be made available to you.

Message 7 of 15
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

It depends on the card. I met my PRG spend bonus in the first month, but didn't get the bonus points until after the second statement cut, along with the rest of my points from regular spend. 

However, on my ED and BCE, I got the bonus / statement credit as soon as the transactions posted. 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

While it's rare, when requesting a due date change, it *can* occur that an entire month's statement will get skipped. There were a number of factors on a "cheat sheet" I used to have that would indicate exactly when that would happen. For better accuracy, I would suggest calling in and asking to speak with a supervisor. They should be able to tell you with confidence when your welcome bonus will be made available to you.

Thanks I will give a call to see what answer I get. 

Message 9 of 15
GeorgiaBulldog
Regular Contributor

From my understanding, if it is your first MR earning card, then the sign-up bonus points will take the extra month to post.  However, on subsequent MR earning cards with sign-up bonuses, they will post immediately.

That's what happened to me.  PRG first (had to wait a month), then immediate posting of bonuses with ED and Blue for Business (and BB+ soon!).  

Favorite cards: AMEX Morgan Stanley Platinum | BofA Alaska | Chase Hyatt | Citi AA Executive | FNBO Amtrak
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.