Did you mean: 

App spree!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: App spree!!

@Anonymous wrote:

@wollepopolle wrote:

These are eight new accounts. Hopefully, it will work out for you. I think applying for so many cards is a bit foolish, though. I can see that you want to get "done" but you also got many minimal CL cards out of the deal (except maybe that $1000 card). If these limits are good for you, then fine.

You might have a good array of store cards, but it'll be more difficult to grow these limits unless you use each one on a monthly basis and hope for an increase over time. Honestly, that would be way too many cards for me to handle.I'd rather be approved for a regular VISA/MC with a nice limit than a bunch of small cards. Also, I am kind of skeptical of store cards that are very limited in their use. But that's just me. A lot of people like them.

And I thought that I had been a bad boy, adding three accounts to my portfolio in two months. Smiley Wink

This is a bit harsh, don't you think? I would not apply for a store card that I didn't use. I was approved for, I think 3 or 4 store cards. I will use these cards, so I know that they will grow. Yes, I do like them, and will use them wisely as I have learned a great deal here. The store cards that chose have really good rewards, coupons, etc. So the benefit will be two-fold. 

Also, I received 2 cards with $1000 CL, one with a $2000 CL and an increase of $1000 on an existing cc. So, you should look carefully before you criticize. This forum is to offer help, not to insult. My scores were below 500 when I started on myFICO. I couldn't buy a cc account back then. I am pleased that I can now apply for a cc, and most of the time get an approval, even if the CL is low to start. You are not going to make me feel badly. I am still happy with ALL of my new accounts. Just because you would have done it differently, doesn't make it wrong....

Well said, Jelly.

Congrats on your new accounts!

Message 11 of 29
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wollepopolle wrote:

These are eight new accounts. Hopefully, it will work out for you. I think applying for so many cards is a bit foolish, though. I can see that you want to get "done" but you also got many minimal CL cards out of the deal (except maybe that $1000 card). If these limits are good for you, then fine.

You might have a good array of store cards, but it'll be more difficult to grow these limits unless you use each one on a monthly basis and hope for an increase over time. Honestly, that would be way too many cards for me to handle.I'd rather be approved for a regular VISA/MC with a nice limit than a bunch of small cards. Also, I am kind of skeptical of store cards that are very limited in their use. But that's just me. A lot of people like them.

And I thought that I had been a bad boy, adding three accounts to my portfolio in two months. Smiley Wink

This is a bit harsh, don't you think? I would not apply for a store card that I didn't use. I was approved for, I think 3 or 4 store cards. I will use these cards, so I know that they will grow. Yes, I do like them, and will use them wisely as I have learned a great deal here. The store cards that chose have really good rewards, coupons, etc. So the benefit will be two-fold. 

Also, I received 2 cards with $1000 CL, one with a $2000 CL and an increase of $1000 on an existing cc. So, you should look carefully before you criticize. This forum is to offer help, not to insult. My scores were below 500 when I started on myFICO. I couldn't buy a cc account back then. I am pleased that I can now apply for a cc, and most of the time get an approval, even if the CL is low to start. You are not going to make me feel badly. I am still happy with ALL of my new accounts. Just because you would have done it differently, doesn't make it wrong....

I don't think the poster was being mean... many people don't look very highly to mass app spree, although I tend to be the one getting scolded for applying for so much, so I happen to agree with applying for so much all at once especially when it comes to store cards with WFFNB, they may start low but they give VERY nice CLI.

I rather take the initial hit in score for new accounts and inq all at once, because a year from now they won't be new anymore and the inq won't really be hurting anymore and you would probably have already seen 2 CLI on most of the accounts.

Congrats on all the approvals and don't take the more conservative comments as a bad negative... after all the point is to get multiple opinions on how someone got to better credit from rebuilding Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@wollepopolle wrote:

Well In any case..I'm happy for you and you are correct..what doesn't suit one may another! We live and we learn Smiley Wink
Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think the poster was being mean... many people don't look very highly to mass app spree, although I tend to be the one getting scolded for applying for so much, so I happen to agree with applying for so much all at once especially when it comes to store cards with WFFNB, they may start low but they give VERY nice CLI.

I rather take the initial hit in score for new accounts and inq all at once, because a year from now they won't be new anymore and the inq won't really be hurting anymore and you would probably have already seen 2 CLI on most of the accounts.

Congrats on all the approvals and don't take the more conservative comments as a bad negative... after all the point is to get multiple opinions on how someone got to better credit from rebuilding Smiley Happy

This is EXACTLY why I LOVE this forum!!! Thanks Credit Addict for your input as I tend to go overboard with applying and it DID come back and bite me in the caboose a few days ago! So I totally understand where your coming from on that one..... SO I am officially done and will work on the accounts I have and will wait to see what happens next year since I'm sure I'll have "car fever" by then. Our lease will be coming to an end and hopefully I'll be in a way better credit position to have what I want so you have given me faith and made me feel better about myself!!!! I was feeling pretty bad now I'm much better Smiley Very Happy  

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wollepopolle wrote:

I don't think wollepopolle's comment was harsh or even critical. I think the statement was fair, and offered a different opinion (which presumably is what one looks for when posting to a forum where members seek advice). I, personally, don't understand going on an app spree, which is why I like to read various members' thoughts on the topic. The more viewpoints I read, the more I understand. Good luck with your new accounts!

Message 15 of 29
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto to many of the comments. Everyone enters the realm of credit for different reasons. Some don't care about the score in the short-term and aim for several new CCs, setting them up for a nice solid history down the road. Some come here looking for a future mortgage or car loan and wouldn't dream of adding a new TL due to the score hit (I'm there). Some just want to maintain what they have going. There's no right or wrong answer.

Message 16 of 29
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would not apply for a store card that I didn't use. I was approved for, I think 3 or 4 store cards. I will use these cards, so I know that they will grow. Yes, I do like them, and will use them wisely as I have learned a great deal here. The store cards that chose have really good rewards, coupons, etc. So the benefit will be two-fold. 

I think you did very well getting store cards that you use and have rewards.  

For some, this size of app spree would bring AA, so I don't think anyone comments were too harsh.

Message 17 of 29
halos24
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on the new cards!!! I actually did the same thing you did in September, and got:  Merricks Visa, BBMC, Kohl's, AE, Amazon,  Itunes Visa, and Old Navy and I use every single one and PIF so far since then!!!  It is not for every one, and beleive me after this I am done for a good year.  I will give these cards as I am sure you will time to grow and show we are credit worthy once again.

I agree with every one, we come to these forums for different points of views.  Not every one will agree what the other does or says, but we are here for one purpose and that is to become credit worthy back again, or help others with some guidance of what we have learned. 

MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 18 of 29
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

JellyFish wrote:This is a bit harsh, don't you think? I would not apply for a store card that I didn't use. I was approved for, I think 3 or 4 store cards. I will use these cards, so I know that they will grow. Yes, I do like them, and will use them wisely as I have learned a great deal here. The store cards that chose have really good rewards, coupons, etc. So the benefit will be two-fold. 

Sorry, I didn't want to come across as condescending.My criticism really wasn't personal. I am sure you wanted to garner some praise here for your successful application spree. And you got that from others already! I wish you the best and I sincerely hope that none of these banks will close their accounts on you after they've discovered that you've been on a spree. Chances are that it will be all fine and you'll see these cards grow with you.Still, I think that such sprees are a very unwise thing to do in general. They do not exactly signal that someone is a reliable borrower. Again, I am not saying that you are not a reliable borrower. It seems you are. However, having 10ish inquiries on the same day/week and having eight new accounts doesn't always go by unnoticed. If you have an American Express account, it's almost a sure bet that they will notice as they do soft pulls on their customers often on a monthly basis. I don't know about others.

I'd still maintain that I'd rather be approved for a $7000 Citi/BoA/Chase VISA (or whatever) than a bunch of store cards. I also said that was just my opinion. You might get a lot more out of these store cards than I ever would. You also have to handle 8 cards and make sure you won't forget a payment. I won't have to do that! Smiley Very Happy

Sorry about the misunderstanding. This forum is especially helpful when people don't always agree on how great everything is. I think constructive criticism is an important part.

Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wollepopolle wrote:

I don't think wollepopolle's comment was harsh or even critical. I think the statement was fair, and offered a different opinion (which presumably is what one looks for when posting to a forum where members seek advice). I, personally, don't understand going on an app spree, which is why I like to read various members' thoughts on the topic. The more viewpoints I read, the more I understand. Good luck with your new accounts!

Thanks for your comment, but what I REALLY took offense to was this statement:

I think applying for so many cards is a bit foolish, though.

I do not take kindly to be calling foolish. I understand that the poster has a different perspective on credit, however, one should just state maybe an alternative or give an example of how they would have done it differently. Which I believe the poster did. The other comment should have been left out. I probably would not have been offended if he/she had.

As I said before, I would not apply for a card just to get a card. I did that when I was in college and NO JOB...that's how my credit went in the tank in the first place. Years later (in my twenties), I got back on track, so I went crazy with cc. I had a job and was making money and was able to get any cc that I wanted...and I did. Then I had a baby, and the father decided that he didn't want her and went his way. I had to take of everything on my own. After a while, I had to depend on my cc to get us through. Soon, I was overwhelmed with credit and medical bills. I had no other choice but to file BK. Just when all was getting better Hurricane Katrina hit, and we lost everything. I had been planning to buy a house in early 2006, once I had finished paying for my new furniture (i was only 6 months away from the last payment!). I was forced tp pay for furniture that I didn't have anymore, even though I purchased  the extra coverage from the furniture store (I was told that it didn't cover acts of God. Are you kidding?) Whatever monies that I received, I had to buy everything new. It has been a long road. I was able to get non-rebuilder cards just last year, and I let them garden for 13 months. I wanted the cards that I applied for, and I am pleased with the ones that I was approved for. I only want 1 one more, Citibank, but I will wait about a year and apply. In the meantime, I will nurture and take care of my cards, so that they will grow.

I said all of this to say that, you don't know what a person has been through. Giving advice is great! And I welcome it!! You should just say it in a manner that is respectful.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.