Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved For Amex BCP

tag
Jlu
Established Contributor

Re: Approved For Amex BCP

Other than the 6% cash back at grocery/department stores I don't understand the fanfare behind this card. I mean 1% on everything is industry standard and 3% cash back on gas you can get with no AF on a 1-2-3 Rewards card versus paying $75. I guess if you buy lots of groceries to make up for the 4% difference in cash back vs the 1-2-3 rewards this would be better. But congrats anyways I'm sure you've earned it.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 31 of 38
Open123
Super Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

Other than the 6% cash back at grocery/department stores I don't understand the fanfare behind this card. I mean 1% on everything is industry standard and 3% cash back on gas you can get with no AF on a 1-2-3 Rewards card versus paying $75. 

This is a great card for some families will spend about $1,000 per month on groceries, which will more than justify the fee.  It isn't for everyone, but it sure is great for those who spend tons at supermarkets.

Also, by combining gift cards (say, amazon) during supermarket trips, one can receive 6% cash back on Amazon (or assorted) purchases.  Incredible value, if you ask me.

Message 32 of 38
Jlu
Established Contributor

I suppose you are right coming from me, a 25 year old with a man cave, lol.
AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 33 of 38
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

just imagine,  6% off all booze bought at the super market, 3% off gas for the corvette or beemer,  backdating goodness and just think after 61 days you can get a 3x CLI so you will be able to buy all the booze for a weekend without paying down the card on friday and hoping your payment clears by saturday night for the next booze run.  Smiley Very Happy  LOL

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 34 of 38
Jlu
Established Contributor

^Oh thanks for putting it in a context that relates to my stereotypical demographic. Smiley Tongue

Message 35 of 38
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Jlu wrote:

just imagine,  6% off all booze bought at the super market, 3% off gas for the corvette or beemer,  backdating goodness and just think after 61 days you can get a 3x CLI so you will be able to buy all the booze for a weekend without paying down the card on friday and hoping your payment clears by saturday night for the next booze run.  Smiley Very Happy  LOL

If your grocery store sells liquor rather than just beer thats a super plus! Here in NC they got ABC stores which is the only place to buy some hard liqour.. Man i miss california.

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 36 of 38
FicoTron
Established Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

Other than the 6% cash back at grocery/department stores I don't understand the fanfare behind this card. I mean 1% on everything is industry standard and 3% cash back on gas you can get with no AF on a 1-2-3 Rewards card versus paying $75. I guess if you buy lots of groceries to make up for the 4% difference in cash back vs the 1-2-3 rewards this would be better. But congrats anyways I'm sure you've earned it.

I did the math and it works for me.  The AF will be covered by groceries alone and thats after my welcome bonus of $150 pays for the AF for the first two years, and still giving me 3% on gas and dept stores.  Not to mention the other ridiculous upsides of Amex cli's and backdating to name a few...oh, and I hate boa, they can keep their card.  Worst case,after the two years I PC to BCE.  Win win I'd say.

EX-774 (Amex Fico) 8/12
EQ-725 (Fico) 1/12
TU-729 (Fico) 3/12
Message 37 of 38
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@FicoTron wrote:

@Jlu wrote:

I did the math and it works for me.  The AF will be covered by groceries alone and thats after my welcome bonus of $150 pays for the AF for the first two years, and still giving me 3% on gas and dept stores.  Not to mention the other ridiculous upsides of Amex cli's and backdating to name a few...oh, and I hate boa, they can keep their card.  Worst case,after the two years I PC to BCE.  Win win I'd say.

Folks tend to forget that the 6% at supermarkets is an invaluable and unmatched cash back. Just buy gift cards/gas cards/whatever cards for your store of choice.from the supermarkets and you effectively extend 6% cash back on most shopping. We spend $5k/yr average on groceries alone (not counting gift cards) and that is $300 back just on groceries. So its $300-$75 = $225 (BCP) vs $150 - $0 = $150 (BCE) just in groceries.

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.