Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Gas Cards a good idea?

tag
onstar
Established Contributor

Re: Are Gas Cards a good idea?

I have a 76 gas station near my house. They were running a promo for 25c off per gallon last summer, so I got the card in August. This promo was supposed to end 12/31/2020 but has been extended to 3/31/2021. So I still get 25c off each gallon. To get 25c off, you have to use the app to purchase the fuel. Using the app is actually quite convenient as I never carry the physical credit card anymore.

Money saving wise, it's slightly better than going to Costco and getting 4% off.

Costco = $3/gal less 4% off = $2.88/gal

76 = $3.10/gal less 25c/gal off = $2.85/gal

When the promo ends though, I don't know what the savings will be. Here's to hoping they extend the 25c offer until the end of the year.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 31 of 35
Demented1
Established Contributor

In February of 2018 I got a BP, (now BP/Amoco) to use for business travel as I was reimbursed for gas. In June of 2018 I got a new company truck and a new company CC that I had to use for all company expenditures…including gas. With that said, I too as @onstar mentioned had a promo for .25¢ off per gallon and now receive .05¢ on every gallon. I still use the card for my personal vehicles and trips.

With the ability to infiltrate credit card mechanisms through the gas pumps I prefer to use a Gas Card when I’m filling up…just my .02¢.

Message 32 of 35
MoneyBurns
Frequent Contributor

Abound is good too. 

5% off the pump (and inside too I think?).

They added rotating categories not too long ago I believe. Since gas here in Cali is like $3.26ish it around 15 cents off a gallon.

Depends like others have said ☺

I would app for Abound but I have PenFeds old Platinum Gas Rewards that gives 5%.

Another potential suggestion is Sears Shop Your MasterCard. However this is very YMMV. Citi usually will send out bonuses to card members - for example for Jan-March they gave me 15% off gas/restaurants/groceries up to 1k for each month as long as I spend $500+ in those three categories (paid as a statment credit). In addition, they then stacked it with a general spend $1000 and get $75 statement credit.

My Current Active Credit Cards
Message 33 of 35
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

As a retiree from an oil company I get a 10% discount (pre-tax) which comes out to 8-8.5%, plus another 3¢ (reg) to 6¢ (prem) if I use the app.  No brainer in my case.

Message 34 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

And abound/ft. Knox also gives 5% on the automotive repairs MCC.
Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.