cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are some Credit Cards "easier" to get than others?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are some Credit Cards "easier" to get than others?

Are there any credit cards (department store, gas, etc.) "easier" to get than others if you're rebuilding credit? Credit scores aren't the only thing taken into consideration to getting approved for credit cards, right? 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are some Credit Cards "easier" to get than others?

I recommend taking a look at whogavemecredit.com 

They are a great resource for people looking to get credit from many different creditors.  Personally, I applied for a Kay Jewelers card and was approved for $4,000!!!  I'm low 600's and took a shot, as I needed a bump in my utilization. 

From the website I provided, it appears that the following are the easiest:

Capital One

Orchard

First Premier

Best of luck.

Message 2 of 8
Pushto700
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I recommend taking a look at whogavemecredit.com 

They are a great resource for people looking to get credit from many different creditors.  Personally, I applied for a Kay Jewelers card and was approved for $4,000!!!  I'm low 600's and took a shot, as I needed a bump in my utilization. 

From the website I provided, it appears that the following are the easiest:

Capital One

Orchard

First Premier

Best of luck.

RUN from FP. With the fees they charge for "joining" their "program" and the fees for requesting a CLI (and they are very stingy from what I have read on these boards, and charge you a % of your limit to increase it) are bad. Better off getting a secured CC and rebuilding at a CU where the fees are minimal. Orchard and Cap One are very good rebuilders.

Starting Score: TU: ?-- EQ: ?--EX 560 (8-08)
Current Score: TU: 671 (3-10) 625 (4-10/Rebucketed)--EQ: 674 (3-10)--EX 630 (Lender 11-09)
Goal Score: TU: 750--EQ: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
anemo
Contributor

I agree,

Kay Jeweler's, Orchardbank(hsbc) and maybe Capital One with there credit steps program.  I have an account with Euforaprepaid.com, I got there credit builder card some two years ago paying $10 a month and it HELPED, it reports as a installment loan.  They now are searching for a new banking partner but you may still be able to join.

My scores are 646 -700 plus on all three.. I started re-building at a score of insufficient score, to Bk, to a 300 score to NOW!!

Kay J = Fico is EQ 646-670, also pulled EX (690) because of fraud alert on EQ for $5,100 with $500 extra totaling $5,600 I was giving an option to increase based on purchase as well, I could of went to $10k if I wanted one of those Leo diamond but NO WAY.. 10-19-10 (anything over 550/600 will get you $3,500 or more)

Orchard = I have had them since 05 with low to mid 5's ($500 to start) now at $2k

Capital One = Just got them on my own, I was an AU.  I don't know why they gave me such as low CL ($500 credit steps and CLI to $3,000 after 7 Months to a year, maybe)

After KAy posted within a few days I received a 20 point jump in score on all three.  the higher limit will help as far as util, and others seeing a large credit line you can manage may rub off on other cards providers.

Starting Score: 300 TU 300 EX
Current Score: 704 TU EX 700
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

I agree, RUN for your life from First Premier.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to give Capital One a try, though I'm a little hesitant.  I just got approved by Kay for $4K and need a credit card on my account, though I'm afriad of being turned down and the 3 inquiries. (1 to each)

I'm 600+ with my TransUnion just taking a little bump. EQ is at 632. 

I am also worried about only getting a $200 CL.  I may just have to wait until the middle of next month when I make my payments, as my utilization will drop and my scores will improve.  (Each payment has bumped my score because my utilization was so high) 

Message 6 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are there any credit cards (department store, gas, etc.) "easier" to get than others if you're rebuilding credit? Credit scores aren't the only thing taken into consideration to getting approved for credit cards, right? 

Thanks!

They also will look at the type of negatives you have.   Income also counts.   

I started my rebuilding with secured cards.   Capital One secured card is a very good rebuilding card.  

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great! Thanks for the help!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.