Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User Question

tag
TwinGirls19
Regular Contributor

Authorized User Question

I would like to put my wife as an authorized user on my Amex, her credit scores are in the low 600's with a couple collections, will this effect my score in a bad way? Or if anything will this only have an effect on her? All my accounts are in good standing btw.
CURRENT SCORES: EX Fico (Amex) 730, TU Fico 745, EQ Fico 717

CURRENT CARDS: Amex Green NPSL, Amex BCE 2K, Chase Sapphire 5K, Citi Thankyou Preferred 3.5K, Discover It 1.7K, Walmart Discover 1.6K, Capital One Platinum 1.5K

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Authorized User Question

Your score will be affected if the card she uses affects your util. You can put a limit on her Amex so you will not have to worry about it too much.
Message 2 of 5
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

It does nothing at all to your score. Only downside is if the wife gets ticked off at you and likes shopping. She gets your history so can greatly benefit.
Message 3 of 5
solstice00
Regular Contributor

@TwinGirls19 wrote:
I would like to put my wife as an authorized user on my Amex, her credit scores are in the low 600's with a couple collections, will this effect my score in a bad way? Or if anything will this only have an effect on her? All my accounts are in good standing btw.

I know what you mean. 

Only the activity in that SPECIFIC card affects your and your wife's credit scores. This means that if you ask for an additional CLI and you get an inquiry in your report, her credit score remains un affected.

If your wife puts in a lot of activity and still rports a 0 balance , then it is good for the card. Which means its good for both of you.

"Its your AAoA, Sir. It seems, Sir, that it is so short that i dont think it would hurt for it to get a little shorter"
Message 4 of 5
TwinGirls19
Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone for the input! @chris hopefully I'll keep her happy , and there's no need for shopping lol!
CURRENT SCORES: EX Fico (Amex) 730, TU Fico 745, EQ Fico 717

CURRENT CARDS: Amex Green NPSL, Amex BCE 2K, Chase Sapphire 5K, Citi Thankyou Preferred 3.5K, Discover It 1.7K, Walmart Discover 1.6K, Capital One Platinum 1.5K

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.