Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized Users ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized Users ?

How does AU work? I know the diff between AU and JOINT.
Do they pull credit reports?
Improve credit scores?
Thanks I tried googling it and found a article but not very helpful for the current information .
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Authorized Users ?

In my experience AU can get your foot in the door with subprime lenders. My son started with no credit score, CapOne had denied him for an unsecured credit card. Add 2x AU's on capone cards a few month later he got a pre-approved offer for a CapOne non-rewards card, approved for $500 CL. card. 

AU's are ignored by most prime lenders internal scoring systems. But may have some benefit for your FICO score but a high fico score with a thin file won't get you approved. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

AFAIK lenders won't pull an AUs credit report to add as an AU. The only exception to this may be AMEX, as I've heard their AU system operates a little bit differently. An AU account will most definitely improve your credit score, if the account you (or someone else) become(s) an AU on has an entirely positive history, and if the age of that account is greater than the new AU's AAoA. 

Remember when you (or someone else) become(s) an AU, the entire history or the account is inherited. Any late payments will be added to the new AU's credit report as well as the full positive history of the account. 

As far as the effect on AAoA, if it is greater than the new AU's AAoA then the person's AAoA will go up, and if it is less than the new AU's AAoA their AAoA will go down (possibly resulting in a credit score drop) 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so in short. If my credit is better then the AU , mine will go down if theirs is worse. And vice versa with the good. Thanks for future reference.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait I think I worded it wrongly. If my score is higher and I add an AU, AU 's will
Go up
Message 5 of 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

No.

Your credit will not be affected if you add an AU to your account, only theirs will be (as the account is already on your report). 

If your history with the account is good, and free of any negatives, and the account is older than their average age of accounts, their score will go up. 

If your history with the account is riddled with late payments, and you add them as an AU, their score will go down because of all the lates on the account. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I fully understand without all the abbreviations , sorry I just started out here this week, lol.
So my payment history has to be good standing. Ok I just was approved for a secured mc with capital one and for future ref wanted info to later on add my spouse.
Thanks so much Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 9
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

When you are added as an AU, you don't get the card holders full credit report, just the history of the one card you are an AU on.  If the card is 3 years old you gain 3 years of history as it shows on the person account, they could have every other card maxed out, it doesn't matter. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

No problem. Sorry it took me so long to explain haha. 

This thread may be of some use to you if you end up being a myFICO lurker like all the newcomers end up being. It has all the most common abbreviations in it that are used on the forum. I've read through that thing so many times and there's still a few I don't always pick up on immediately.

Good Luck!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.