Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized users

tag
Croselx
Contributor

Authorized users

I recently got my first cards that seem to allow for authorized users; they are WM Discover and Sears (not sure if it is MC). They haven't arrived yet, but I want to add 2 people to them to help them establish credit. How many authorized users can I add on each card and do they both report? What card would look best on their report if they have no credit history? Of course I intend to NOT give them the actual card, just want to help them establish credit, I will be in charge of managing the account to make sure it is used responsibly and with score building in mind.

As of Feb: AAoA 1 year, 10 months
CK TU: 740; Wal-Mart TU FICO: 721
CS EX: 715
8 CCs, 15 total accounts.
Negs on report: 1 30 day late aged 3 years
5 inquiries
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Authorized users

once you activate the cards, log in online and add them.
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 7
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Croselx wrote:

I recently got my first cards that seem to allow for authorized users; they are WM Discover and Sears (not sure if it is MC). They haven't arrived yet, but I want to add 2 people to them to help them establish credit. How many authorized users can I add on each card and do they both report? What card would look best on their report if they have no credit history? Of course I intend to NOT give them the actual card, just want to help them establish credit, I will be in charge of managing the account to make sure it is used responsibly and with score building in mind.

Discover, Capital one, Amex, Bank of America, Chase I know off the top of my head all report AU's.

Discover can be weird because they do not require a SS number so I'm pretty sure they only report if the addresses are the same if not simliar, sometimes things will stop reporting if you've never had the same city of residence on file so hard to say. But Any card will help them manage their credit. Well aged cards will help them the best followed by a higher limit. For instance if they only get $1,000 person card, and you add them to a $4,000 limit Discover card even if they max out their card it'll only report as 20% utility over 100% and $1,000 card is easy to max with one big purchase.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 7
Croselx
Contributor

Another question: can the authorized user view their FICO as well or just the main? Thanks for the replies. I can't add the users to my oldest card because it doesn't allow it (bank card in Puerto Rico) the other one is paypal smart connect which I think doesn't allow either.

As of Feb: AAoA 1 year, 10 months
CK TU: 740; Wal-Mart TU FICO: 721
CS EX: 715
8 CCs, 15 total accounts.
Negs on report: 1 30 day late aged 3 years
5 inquiries
Message 4 of 7
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Croselx wrote:

Another question: can the authorized user view their FICO as well or just the main? Thanks for the replies. I can't add the users to my oldest card because it doesn't allow it (bank card in Puerto Rico) the other one is paypal smart connect which I think doesn't allow either.

No they must have their own account to see their Walmart fico scores.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 5 of 7
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

You don't develop a FICO score without at least 6 months of history reporting.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 6 of 7
rkb84
Contributor

Yeah don't think they will see their scores unless it is their own

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.