BBVA.mx?

tag
jcooks
Established Contributor

BBVA.mx?

Screenshot_20210524-122531_Gmail.jpg

Would you guys be worried with this?

The email comes in from bbva.mx

I searched BBVA but never have I ever applied or even come close to applying to any of their cards.  I got this email from them from bbva.mx.  It was sent to my Gmail except it's missing a "." Which in Gmail, periods don't matter (abc@gmail.com is the same as ab.c@gmail.com).  The email shows my last name that I censored but other names aren't mine.  I don't see any ACH from any of my accounts.  I looked up bbva.mx on google and I tried dialing the 800 number, but doesn't even ring and just hangs up.  I will call my bank and let them know to block any ACHs from bbva.mx on any of my accounts.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
risingup2day
Regular Contributor

Re: BBVA.mx?

Looks like some phishing attempt. Don't click on any links within the email. Report the phishing to gmail and for safety, call your bank. Should be good. 

@jcooks wrote:

Screenshot_20210524-122531_Gmail.jpg

Would you guys be worried with this?

The email comes in from bbva.mx

I searched BBVA but never have I ever applied or even come close to applying to any of their cards.  I got this email from them from bbva.mx.  It was sent to my Gmail except it's missing a "." Which in Gmail, periods don't matter (abc@gmail.com is the same as ab.c@gmail.com).  The email shows my last name that I censored but other names aren't mine.  I don't see any ACH from any of my accounts.  I looked up bbva.mx on google and I tried dialing the 800 number, but doesn't even ring and just hangs up.  I will call my bank and let them know to block any ACHs from bbva.mx on any of my accounts.

Message 2 of 5
jcooks
Established Contributor

Called my bank and they noted the account.  Didn't click on links and didn't trust their phones numbers in the email.  What's strange is that the number on their website that I searched isn't dialing.  Ah well.  Nothing on reports and nothing from my banks.  

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Report this to your states AG as well, most have online submissions. You might want to freeze your CRs so no one can app in your name or version of it.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jcooks wrote:

Called my bank and they noted the account.  Didn't click on links and didn't trust their phones numbers in the email.  What's strange is that the number on their website that I searched isn't dialing.  Ah well.  Nothing on reports and nothing from my banks.  

BBVA MX is BBVA Mexico so you would be calling international long distance and may need to use a special dialing code. For example on my cell service I have to dial 011+country code+phone number. This definitely reeks of a scam to me though. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.