Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BCP

For those who have this card, (it's a future goal card of mine) I see that the cashback is only issued as a statement credit?  Can anyone tell me what exactly you do with your 6%?  I spend about $700/month on groceries and I'd hit the $6000 cap easily and then only be earning 1%, but I'd be getting back $384 minus the annual fee.  Still coming out on top.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: BCP

You could pair it with the SM card and/or the US Bank Cash+ card.  It would take a little work tracking the spending, but it would maximize the rewards.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 2 of 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For those who have this card, (it's a future goal card of mine) I see that the cashback is only issued as a statement credit?  Can anyone tell me what exactly you do with your 6%?  I spend about $700/month on groceries and I'd hit the $6000 cap easily and then only be earning 1%, but I'd be getting back $384 minus the annual fee.  Still coming out on top.

Statement credit or gift cards. Can also get merchandise but not a good value. There's no actual "cash back" as far as a check or direct deposit.

Message 3 of 14
PNW_Hunter
Regular Contributor

I absolutely love my BCP. I do wish they let you redeem any amount of cash for statement credits, not just $25 increments.

I'd pair it was a SM MC for sure! That is my plan once I am exceeding the spending cap Smiley Happy

If you exceed that cap, too, then another option would be to go the ED/EDP route if you make the swipe requirement.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Switch spend on grocery to more lucrative card once you hit your mark at approximately 8 months in. I didn't use my BCP all that much for the year I had it except to max out the groceries category and meet it's spend.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just use the statement credit.

Pairing BCP with SM is a good idea. Put the first $500 per month of spend onto the BCP, put the rest on SM. You have to do it that way, rather than putting it all on BCP until you hit the $6k, because SM resets monthly, rather than yearly like the BCP. 

Message 6 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just use the statement credit.

Pairing BCP with SM is a good idea. Put the first $500 per month of spend onto the BCP, put the rest on SM. You have to do it that way, rather than putting it all on BCP until you hit the $6k, because SM resets monthly, rather than yearly like the BCP. 

Well, for that spend yes, but if spending nearer 9K   "Put the first $250 per month on SM and the rest on BCP"   That makes sure you are using up both caps.   

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

And if you have a Freedom...see if they're having Groceries for a quarter again and factor that in. I was thinking I'd max it sooner than I will, but I use SM at Target that accounts for a chunk of my grocery spend. I try to throw a bit onto SM each month as insurance in case I hit cap near the end. 

Message 8 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

And if you have a Freedom...see if they're having Groceries for a quarter again and factor that in. I was thinking I'd max it sooner than I will, but I use SM at Target that accounts for a chunk of my grocery spend. I try to throw a bit onto SM each month as insurance in case I hit cap near the end. 

Would not the Target card get 5% back at Target every day?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For those who have this card, (it's a future goal card of mine) I see that the cashback is only issued as a statement credit?

You can redeem for merchandise, gift cards, etc but they didn't seem to be all that great a value last I checked.

@Anonymous wrote:

I spend about $700/month on groceries and I'd hit the $6000 cap easily and then only be earning 1%, but I'd be getting back $384 minus the annual fee. 

We spend a bit more and use a pair of BCP's.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.