Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi recon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi recon

Right at the end of a major app spree a few weeks ago I decided to app for Citi Simplicity. I got the 7-10 day message and finally got the letter: "Too many recent apps"

Is it worth trying to recon with Citi?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Citi recon

@Anonymous wrote:

Right at the end of a major app spree a few weeks ago I decided to app for Citi Simplicity. I got the 7-10 day message and finally got the letter: "Too many recent apps"

Recon is always a matter of whether you think you can honestly argue the points in the letter. Since you did indeed do a spree, are you prepared with a good reason as to why they should give you the card despite so many recent apps?

I think from what I have read that Citi isn't big on recons and once declined it's pretty much declined most of the time but maybe someone can chime in with experience as I haven't had to recon with them.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi isn't inown to be big on recons but it can't really hurt if you try

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Your scores look fine enough to me.  Heck some of your limits are higher than mine. I have opened 7 new cards since april. I am curious as to which bureau it was they pulled for you. Maybe they can use your equifax like they did me. I personally don't feel as though my APR should be 13.9 on my DC after 18 months. Especially when most of what they send says 19 or 22 online. They are really random with their offers.  I have also witnessed a person get denied for a 21 month simplicity mail offer, then get approved for another citi card a month later....

Call em up two different times before you go the HP recon route, if you can afford another inquiry.

Message 4 of 14
taxi818
Super Contributor

As stated they are not big on recons. But what is a phone call? Every one gets lucky every once in a while. worth a shot. even if a long shot. Good luck.

Message 5 of 14
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I have yet to have been successful on a Citi recon, I don't even apply anymore. You can definitely try
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a $2k bump on 2 Citi cards this week, both SPs.

I don't like to call recon. They may say "dude, you have like $200k in credit, **bleep** do you need another $5k for?"

not sure I could answer Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got a $2k bump on 2 Citi cards this week, both SPs.

I don't like to call recon. They may say "dude, you have like $200k in credit, **bleep** do you need another $5k for?"

not sure I could answer Smiley Happy

How do you know if a Citi CLI will be a soft vs a hard pull? Is there a way to know beforehand?

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a wording difference. Go ahead and click the link. It'll either say they WILL pull your credit (or check your credit, or whatever) or it will say they will not. I, as others have, got excited and misread. Smiley Sad   But I did get a CLI from 4860 to 15k for my HP, so I was okay either way. 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There's a wording difference. Go ahead and click the link. It'll either say they WILL pull your credit (or check your credit, or whatever) or it will say they will not. I, as others have, got excited and misread. Smiley Sad   But I did get a CLI from 4860 to 15k for my HP, so I was okay either way. 

Gotcha. Thanks. I am going to wait a few months to let the dust settle, then I might give it a try and see what it says.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.