BEST CREDIT UNIONS THAT OFFER HIGH LIMIT CREDIT CARDS

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: BEST CREDIT UNIONS THAT OFFER HIGH LIMIT CREDIT CARDS

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@MCM1 wrote:

Moving the posts is why so many people have left this board and gone to others.............I wasnt asking for data points, I was simply asking for the best CU's.......

Are you serious? 

You put this post in Approvals, I moved it to Credit Cards.. and you're unhappy?  

What exactly was approved? 

To be fair, there are approx 7 billion people on this planet and only a very small fraction are on MyFico.  Perhaps most of them are on the other boards OP references?   So maybe mods ARE doing something wrong!

I should move this post to Student Loans. 

Message 11 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MCM1 wrote:

What are the best Credit Unions to join that offer the higest limits on their credit cards?  I am looking to move some of my cards away from banks to the CU's that seem to offer higher limits and better features. I would appreciate the suggestions.....

If you have experience, please let me know if they perform a soft or hard inquiry to join and which bureau they pull.  What are some of the limits that you have been able to get from the CU's? 

Thank you for any help. 

I have generally found that the larger credit unions are more likely than smaller ones to  extend larger starting limits.

The biggest starting limit I ever received was from PenFed.

Some other fairly generous credit unions are NFCU, BECU, Unify, and Langley.

Total revolving limits 650200 (530700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 708 TU 714 EX 715

Message 12 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

FWIW, once we move out of the well known good CUs, my impression is that CUs generally offer worse cards than the average bank.   In a recent brute force search, I found a number of CUs still offering 1% credit cards.   Now I haven't done the same with banks, but I don't remember seeing many 1% offers (well there is that one that offers four, FOUR, 4!!! points which turn out to be about 0.25c!)

Message 13 of 15
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

FWIW, once we move out of the well known good CUs, my impression is that CUs generally offer worse cards than the average bank.   In a recent brute force search, I found a number of CUs still offering 1% credit cards.   Now I haven't done the same with banks, but I don't remember seeing many 1% offers (well there is that one that offers four, FOUR, 4!!! points which turn out to be about 0.25c!)

A local CU, that I have been a member of for 40+ years has a single CC offering with "No" rewards, and "never" gives a CL increase. You get what CL you start with. It is a nice looking black CC in my sock drawer.  Keep the CU for loans, car & personal.

My largest CL was from another local CU with 1 point per dollar, worth 0.7c per point.  (Wescom CU)

It started out average but grew with just time, it is another in the sock drawer because of age.

I am a rewards  >  CL's guy.

Never joined NAVY, PenFed, NASA, BECU, Unify, because for me CL's are low on my list of importance.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I've seen plenty of local banks whose best card is 1% cashback. One I have an account with falls in that category, and they're not even particularly small for a local bank (about $20 billion in assets). And there's a regional bank 10 times their size that's been promoting their great new card -- which offers 1.5% cashback!

I think it has more to do with size and emphasis than anything else. The financial institutions with the best credit card rewards tend to be the biggest, either with hundreds of billions or trillions of assets (like Chase) or over a hundred billion and heavily focused on credit cards (like Cap1, Amex, or Discover) rather than more traditional banking services. And those are all banks. Of the credit unions, only Navy Fed meets that minimum, and cards aren't their primary focus.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.