Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA sent CC without completing an application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA sent CC without completing an application

My girlfriend received a Bank of America credit card w/ 8K limit without ever signing any application. We assumed it was identy theft, but after researching, found that her mother signed for it while at a branch. She cancelled the card, but we are worried about the hit to her credit score (she's around 790). I would like BOA to simply removed the inquiry from all three CRAs (which I do not believe they had permissable permission in the first place), plus refund the $56 for pulling all three credit scores (we plan to do this tommrow). 

Below is a line-by-line detail of what my girlfriend's mother signed:

"Credit card acceptance authorization form"

"Congratulations! You have agreed to accept a pre-approved credit card offer"  

"Check box (which is not checked) Yes, I accpet the pre-approved Bank of America credit card offer and I received a copy of the Bank of America Credit Card Important Terms Disclosure

"My girlfriends name, printed"

"Her mother's name signed"

"Date"

"Last 4 of grilfriends SSN"

"Bank of America Associate Name" 

Has anyone had this happend to them? I'm thinking about meeting with branch manager to discuss the possible actions to correct this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.  

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA sent CC without completing an application

Sounds like a scenario for Jerry Springer. Was the Mother attempting to portray the Daughter to steal identity or was she attempting to "surprise" the Daughter by helping?

If the intent was larceny, it is forgery and uttering. No intent, probably no prosecution. Oh, and the BOA person should be first in line for upcoming layoffs.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im wondering why her mother did it as well!  I would send the paper you have to the CRA's to dispute the inquiries if you run into a wall with BofA (which I wouldnt doubt).  Good luck on getting reimbursed for pulling your credit though..
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

........ I would like BOA to simply removed the inquiry from all three CRAs..............

The inquiry probably only hit EX, of course the new account would be reported to all, I would have probably just kept the account open and continued to scream at BofA for being stupid.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call in the fbi to investigate.That 1 inquiry will knock about 50 points off her score and the new account will chop another 50 points. hehe, but seriously, are you for real.  I would keep the card and put a freeze on her files if your so scared. And ask the mother why she signed up for the CC anyway but i wouldn't close the card.

Message 5 of 12
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Call in the fbi to investigate.That 1 inquiry will knock about 50 points off her score and the new account will chop another 50 points. hehe, but seriously, are you for real.  I would keep the card and put a freeze on her files if your so scared. And ask the mother why she signed up for the CC anyway but i wouldn't close the card.

But seriously, are you for real?

Message Edited by jmbfl on 12-17-2008 09:35 PM
Message 6 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

jahmal wrote:

Say what?

Even at the OP's GF's high score level, I'd guess 25 points combined, max.

And the FBI?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 12
score_building
Senior Contributor

it appears that jahmal was trying to be funny Smiley Indifferent not serious.

what was the goal in closing the account?  i understand that it may have been an intuitive response but closing the account doesn't repair the situation.  perhaps a bigger problem than a new tl with a prime issuer is perhaps how this ever even happened... and ensuring it never does again.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

score_building wrote:

it appears that jahmal was trying to be funny Smiley Indifferent not serious.

I'd say you're right. I'd just hate to read a post by a newbie thinking that new accounts cost ya 100 points. Believe me, I've read stranger!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 12
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

@jmbfl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Call in the fbi to investigate.That 1 inquiry will knock about 50 points off her score and the new account will chop another 50 points. hehe, but seriously, are you for real.  I would keep the card and put a freeze on her files if your so scared. And ask the mother why she signed up for the CC anyway but I wouldn't close the card.

But seriously, are you for real?

Just to prove how patently ridiculous this "information" is:

In the last 10 days I app'ed for and was instantly approved for a Citi Diamond Preferred card ($4.8K). The card is now reporting on EX, which is also where the INQ was pulled. I bought a FICO EX score for an apples to apples comparison. Before = 734 / After = 728 - No other changes. The [-6] score change included: 1) Hard INQ, 2) Third hard INQ in 12 months, and 3) New account hit. As long as I don't go on a UTIL binge in the next few months my FICO score will have more than recovered it's previous level.

I have opened four new accounts this year (BofA, PenFed, Discover and Citi). With each successive app and approval I have taken a small initial score hit followed a recovery over the next 2 -3 months to a higher score than I started at. I am far better off FICO-wise for having to continued to develop my credit.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.