Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer on CC?

tag
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Balance transfer on CC?

So I splurged a little bit with a trip to Florida with my new found credit cards and CL's.  10yrs. of rebuilding and no credit will make it easy to reward yourself after a long, hard fought battle.

I've about $70K in available credit reporting, with utilization about $7500 in balances among 7 of the 13 CC accounts that I have.

Would it be best to transfer balances to 1 or 2 cards that have a $15K CL and $10K CL or leave them be and just pay them off, which will happen in the next few months.

As far as score is concerned, more accounts reporting $0 balances is better than 2 accounts reporting 25%-30% utilization, or is it? 

I ask this because I just would like to see my score go back up as quickly as possible.  I went from 745 EQ to 705 in a matter of a month-ish, due to AAoA, new credit, and balances reporting.  I, of course,  was prepared for the drop in points, but like most of us, I still don't like it. lol.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

Re: Balance transfer on CC?

doing a lot of shuffling is opening up potential to make late payments and whatnot. I prefer not to do that. Shuffling cards wont really make your score go up too much I dont think unless you are maxed out on some cards. Your overall util is still the same until you pay them down. Then you will see a score increase. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 2 of 6
racer-x
Valued Contributor

I had a 6 pt drop in score a few months ago because a single account reported a $28 balance.  That's why I think, and from my experience and what I've researched, that having $0 balances on 85% of my accounts is better than having 50% of my accounts reporting balances, although overall utilization is the same.

Is that not correct thinking, or fact?

No cards over 25% utilization.  I have  (2) $15k accounts, (2) $10k accounts, (1) $6k account, (1) $5k account etc....the $7500 in account balances are among those accounts.

Also, putting my balances on 2 cards will make it easier to manange than managing 7 or 8 accounts with balances?  Not sure how consolidating balances to fewer cards makes paying your bills on time more difficult?

Message 3 of 6
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

Im saying because transfers take a couple of weeks to process. I have had the same ding for one extra balance reporting a $44 balance as well.  It just seems like a lot of hassle and juggling for 6 points. The real points makeup is the util. I thought about this when I had three cards with balances. I just decided to pay them off as fast I could. Theres no reason to take extra steps to coax my score up a few points when I wasnt going to apply for more credit anyway. It gave me a goal and a drive to pay it off as fast as I could. While I do not have the credit limits or debts and probably so the income you have, $2200 in 3 months was not too easy for me and now I get to see the fruits of my labor next month when my zero balances report for the first time. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 4 of 6
racer-x
Valued Contributor

I guess balance transfer was the wrong wording. I would just pay off the credit cards with other credit cards. Thus doing balance transfers so to speak. Interest rates are 0% or very low.

Not trying to gain 6 points, more like 20-25 to get above 720 comfortably.
Message 5 of 6
racer-x
Valued Contributor

.....and my utiliz is about 10% currently, so that shouldn't be hurting my score much , if at all.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.