cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer with a positive balance?

tag
kremonis
Regular Contributor

Balance transfer with a positive balance?

I (Mod cut - not here please, @kremonis - please be mindful of the TOS) double paid my personal Chase credit card. It has a positive balance of several hundred dollars. If it were a smaller amount like $50-$100 I would just spend it down. But it would take me several months to organically spend the positive balance back to zero. I want that cash back earning me interest. Also I don't have any bank accounts with Chase.

The NFCU does not have balance transfer fees. I know from past personal experience that you can cash advance, from your NFCU CC, to your NFCU account without penalty if you prepay the credit card so that it has a positive balance. Then you can ACH to the acount of your choice

What would happened it I BT from the Chase CC, that had a positive balance, to an NFCU CC. Would a BT work if the credit card has a positive balance?

Is there a simple, free way to get that cash off the Chase CC?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
bz386
Frequent Contributor

Re: Balance transfer with a positive balance?

Call Chase and ask them to send you a check for the overpayment. A balance transfer will incur fees. 

Message 2 of 5
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@kremonis wrote:

(Mod cut - not here please, @kremonis - please be mindful of the TOS) double paid my personal Chase credit card. It has a positive balance of several hundred dollars. If it were a smaller amount like $50-$100 I would just spend it down. But it would take me several months to organically spend the positive balance back to zero. I want that cash back earning me interest. Also I don't have any bank accounts with Chase.

The NFCU does not have balance transfer fees. I know from past personal experience that you can cash advance, from your NFCU CC, to your NFCU account without penalty if you prepay the credit card so that it has a positive balance. Then you can ACH to the acount of your choice

What would happened it I BT from the Chase CC, that had a positive balance, to an NFCU CC. Would a BT work if the credit card has a positive balance?

I am completely confused 

You over paid chase

You want to use Navy to send more money to chase? 

how would this get you the money back? 

I agree with the other poster, just message chase and ask for a check. 

Message 3 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@kremonis wrote:

I (Mod cut - not here please, @kremonis - please be mindful of the TOS) double paid my personal Chase credit card. It has a positive balance of several hundred dollars. If it were a smaller amount like $50-$100 I would just spend it down. But it would take me several months to organically spend the positive balance back to zero. I want that cash back earning me interest. Also I don't have any bank accounts with Chase.

No you couldn't transfer a positive balance in your credit card account.

But you could easily call Chase and ask them to send you a refund check for the credit balance.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 5
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@kremonis wrote:

I double paid my personal Chase credit card. It has a positive balance of several hundred dollars.

You mean negative balance, right? Like -$300?

I don't know about Chase, but with other banks when I've had a negative balance and didn't immediately use it up, they automatically sent me a check. I didn't have to do anything, they just sent it after X number of days with no action on my part.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.