Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance transfer

anyone know if it's a problem if I was to transfer a balance from someone else's card to my Amex. Going to transfer 33000. Would Amex allow that? Would it be ok? Doing that cause right now my Amex is 15 months 0% interest and after transferring the amount out of her card she's able to get loan to pay it off. If worst comes to worst I have the fund to pay it off

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balance transfer

If you have the available credit on your amex card they wont care where the balance is coming from.  If that amount is near your credit limit on the card, I woudn't carry the balance for too long without making large payments.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have the available credit on your amex card they wont care where the balance is coming from.  If that amount is near your credit limit on the card, I woudn't carry the balance for too long without making large payments.

One of my card have a 36k limit and other one have a 18k limit. Account has only been open for 3.5 months. Just worried if I do transfer Amex will close out my cards. I have 2 revolving and a charge card with them

Message 3 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I think if you do it, but the payments are in order, there wouldn't be much of an issue.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I'm sure it'll go thru, I'd probably make some substantial payments ASAP. While they won't close you down, they will probably be watching your account and CR's extensively. I'd expect they'll definitely review your CR's immediately to see if anything has changed in the 3 month's since you opened the account. In all likelihood, you're credit scores will also take a good hit based on your utilization.
Message 5 of 6
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

This was in the offer terms for my new BCE, don't know if it applies to your card, but I'd check:

Balance Transfers: Only balance transfers from accounts in your name requested within 30 days from the date of account opening will be approved. We will charge your Card account for the total approved amount of all balance transfers. No transfer will be processed if: (1) any requested transfer is less than $100; (2) the total amount of all requested transfers exceeds the lesser of $7,500 or 75% of your credit limit; or (3) charging the requested transfers to your Card account would cause your total account balance to exceed your credit limit. We will not initiate any balance transfer until at least ten days after we have mailed or otherwise provided the Card Member Agreement to you. In some cases, it may take up to six weeks to complete a balance transfer. Please be sure to make all required payments on any account from which you are transferring a balance until the balance transfer is credited to that account. You authorize us to verify the balance of such accounts. You may not transfer balances from any account issued by American Express or any of its affiliates. Additional Card Members may not request or authorize balance transfers. Your balance transfer request may be declined if any of your American Express accounts are not in good standing.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.