Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank before credit card question

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Bank before credit card question

OP, I would consider a different line of questions.

1) What is your current list of cards?
2) What rewards or features are not available on the cards you have, and
3) Which cards fill gaps in rewards or features, cards that would be useful to you? Or....
3A) Which cards have SUB that you are interested in?

Then, from that list of relevant cards to app, is it necessary or helpful to have savings at that bank? Or not at all?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

That's a lot of banks doesn't that get exhausting?

There's a lot of people (some on myfico I suspect, certainly on DoctorofCredit) who go for bank SUBs just as people do here for credit cards.   Bank features tend to vary a lot less than credit cards (mainly interest rates on deposits) but you can generally earn say $200+ up for opening an account and leaving money there for a fairly short term.   Just as some go heavy on getting lots of cards, some will open 30+ bank accounts in a year.    Just have to be careful that not all report (or look at) Chex or similar systems and decide that something wrong is happening.

Message 12 of 14
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@disney2 wrote:

I'm looking for a bank to get a checking account with before applying for a card with them.  I have NF, WF, Alliant, PenFed, and USAA already and am thinking of getting another one with PNC, BBVA, or a different bank all together.  If you were looking to do this, what bank would you pick?

I’m just curious and obviously nosey😜, but why so many checking accounts?

EDIT:

It seems you answered—to establish relationships to get CCs. 😃

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@disney2 wrote:

I'm looking for a bank to get a checking account with before applying for a card with them.  I have NF, WF, Alliant, PenFed, and USAA already and am thinking of getting another one with PNC, BBVA, or a different bank all together.  If you were looking to do this, what bank would you pick?

I would pick BBVA. They have good rewards and not super conservative. If you live outside the footprint it’s a backdoor to get their CC. They will only let you apply online if you live in the footprint or if you received a prequalified mailer. But you can open a bank account from anywhere. They  send mailers to banking customers (as well as others).

They had a checking SUB last year and a friend got their CC that way even though she lived outside the footprint

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.