Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America: A Question Regarding HP's

tag
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

Bank of America: A Question Regarding HP's

I was searching the forum for information on how long HP's last for Bank of America and found a post from Lexie in 2014 claiming they are good for 1 month. I haven't seen her on the forum in some time, but she always gave terrific spot on information. Can anyone confirm this? My fiance grabbed the Merrill card Tuesday night and I was thinking about nudging her to grab the Alaska card via targeted offer as well if the HP is still good. 

I'd appreciate any data points! Thanks!

☮ & ❤
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Bank of America: A Question Regarding HP's

For CLI you have a month, but for new cards it's a distinct HP each time. Sometimes you can get away with one if you apply in quick succession, but since several days have passed, it will be a new pull
Message 2 of 11
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the clarification KDM! Appreciate you as always! Smiley Happy

☮ & ❤
Message 3 of 11
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
For CLI you have a month, but for new cards it's a distinct HP each time. Sometimes you can get away with one if you apply in quick succession, but since several days have passed, it will be a new pull

I dont think it's necessary true.

Personal DPs. I applied for 2 BOA cards same day in Dec - one HP in EX. I then applied again within 30 days in Jan for another BOA card - NO HP in my EX report. 

When I received the card which I applied in Jan, the paperwork came with it listed that my credit report was pulled back in Dec. 

This shows that BOA only pull 1 HP within 30 days. Again YMMV and things can change, but my DP is not the only DP that BOA now pulls only once within 30 days. 

You may report your own DP once you have one!

Message 4 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I'd expect the second HP, and just be happy if it doesn't happen. A HP isn't that big of a deal either way.
Message 5 of 11
csryang
Frequent Contributor

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll try to help, but I may just complicate things further LOL.

In July 2016 (July 27) I requested a credit line increase on my 3-2-1 card and got a hard pull on Transunion.  Then, in mid-August I applied for an MLB card and got another hard pull on Experian.

Fast forward to this year:

On the 26th of January, I applied for a credit line increase on my 3-2-1 card, then about 10 days later applied for an increase on my MLB card, and about 7 days later got a Travel Rewards Card all on the same Transunion hard pull...this time no Experian (that Transunion hard pull BTW was the holy grail of hard pulls...love BofA)

So, it looks like it just depends....

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm I just hard pulled a credit line increase...should I tempt calling and seeing if I can get their travel rewards card with the same pull and add another card to my mix....
Message 8 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll try to help, but I may just complicate things further LOL.

In July 2016 (July 27) I requested a credit line increase on my 3-2-1 card and got a hard pull on Transunion.  Then, in mid-August I applied for an MLB card and got another hard pull on Experian.

Fast forward to this year:

On the 26th of January, I applied for a credit line increase on my 3-2-1 card, then about 10 days later applied for an increase on my MLB card, and about 7 days later got a Travel Rewards Card all on the same Transunion hard pull...this time no Experian (that Transunion hard pull BTW was the holy grail of hard pulls...love BofA)

So, it looks like it just depends....

In the past, BOA almost always did a pull on TU for a CLI, and a pull on EX for a new account, which is what you experienced in July. Some people have reported more recently that things have changed somewhat in this regard and they don't get the second pull if it's within 30 days or so.

That said, YMMV, things change all the time.

Message 9 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I'm not going to say definitively how it works, but I can provide a data point.

I got a CLI on my BBR #1 on December 27, and they did a HP on TU (as expected).  On January 7 I applied for BBR #2 and was approved... when I got my card/paperwork it referenced my credit score on TU back on 12/27 as well... there was no HP on EX.

I don't know if the time frame is 30 days, but I can say that they don't always do a HP on EX for new accounts... it's definitely YMMV if they already have a recent HP on file for a CLI request or another application.

While I don't have any plans for another BoA card in the immediate future, if/when the time comes I plan to do a CLI request on an existing card before my new app so that hopefully lightning will strike twice (my TU is always stronger than my EX).

Just my 2¢.  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.