cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America to Discontinue Better Balance Rewards Card!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America to Discontinue Better Balance Rewards Card!

Hey guys just saw on DOC that the BOA BBR will soon be discontinued as reported by an employee and replaced with a Chase Slate-Esque Card. Apply for the card before they close any app links! RIP BBR Smiley Sad

Source: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/bofa-discontinue-bbr-replace-slate-esque-card/

Article

"Bank of America will discontinue the Better Balance Rewards card for new applications started at the end of May. They’ll also roll out a no-balance-transfer-fee card, similar to Chase’s Slate.

This is being reported by Reddit user Kilifi who works for the bank.

Existing BBR cardholders will remain as before, it’s only new applications that won’t be accepted starting June. Product-changing into the BBR card will likely also end at that time. Even now it’s difficult to find a rep who will do it, though there are sporadic reports of success. If you want to attempt it, probably better now than later.

The new card will be a standard Bank Americard specifically for people looking to complete balance transfer with no balance transfer fees & 0% APR for 12-18 months. Looks like this card, but without the balance transfer fee. They’ll probably rebrand it as a new card.

Hopefully, existing BBR cardholders will be able to take advantage of the $100-$120 annual benefit for a long time."

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
Aahz
Established Contributor

Bank of America Better Balance Rewards (BofA BBR) Card To Be Discontinued

According to a BofA employee posting on Reddit, BofA will no longer accept new applications for the BBR card as of the end of the month.

Instead they'll be with replacing it with a no-rewards balance transfer card similar to the Chase Slate.

No word on how long existing BBR cards will remain under the current rewards system.

Message 2 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA to Discontinue Better Balance Rewards & Replace Card!

Message 3 of 55
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Honestly not surprised, as this card has been abused for years. I'm actually surprised it has taken them this long.

Message 4 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was hoping this wouldn't happen for a least another 6 months, the whole reason I got a BOA bank account was so I could get the BBR but they will never PC me and they wont approve me for one either, even though they will give me any other card I ask for not to mention Discover, Amex, Pre quals for Citi, I'm probably going to throw one last hail Mary then if decline close all my BOA accounts, they just arn't worth the hassle.

Message 5 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was hoping this wouldn't happen for a least another 6 months, the whole reason I got a BOA bank account was so I could get the BBR but they will never PC me and they wont approve me for one either, even though they will give me any other card I ask for not to mention Discover, Amex, Pre quals for Citi, I'm probably going to throw one last hail Mary then if decline close all my BOA accounts, they just arn't worth the hassle.

Good luck and let us know if you get approved!

Message 6 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

This was the only card I was interested in getting from BOA. I'm not going to apply because I'm trying to garden until December. All good things must come to an end. Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 55
minski
Established Contributor

Thanks for the heads up! This was the only card I wanted this year. I was hoping to apply at the end of the year when all of last year's inquiries got a year old but I guess I am leaving the garden earlier than planned. 

Message 8 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I got denied, so I'm done with BOA no reason to keep wasting Inqs on them.

Message 9 of 55
minski
Established Contributor

Smiley Sad Sorry to hear that, niko. 

Mine just went into review. I'm afraid I might get denied because of all the inquiries and recent accounts in the past 12 months. If BoA gave me one more month then at least four of those would be a year old. Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.