cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Arrival denied because too low utilization on existing Barclay reward card

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclay Arrival denied because too low utilization on existing Barclay reward card

@LearningMoreAboutCredit wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@baller4life wrote:
You tell em! Barclays can go kick rocks! Their loss!

Why is it their loss?   OP might well have been unprofitable for them, given the initial bonus.  From their viewpoint, he hadn't used one of their cards, how do they know he will use the new one.

Baller's response read more like sarcasm...Smiley Surprised

Hmmm... ummm...ummmm....I'm gonna defer my response to my buddy longtimelurker...LOL

Message 31 of 43
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclay Arrival denied because too low utilization on existing Barclay reward card

Message 32 of 43
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@baller4life wrote:
You tell em! Barclays can go kick rocks! Their loss!

Why is it their loss?   OP might well have been unprofitable for them, given the initial bonus.  From their viewpoint, he hadn't used one of their cards, how do they know he will use the new one.

Baller's response read more like sarcasm...Smiley Surprised

Hmmm... ummm...ummmm....I'm gonna defer my response to my buddy longtimelurker...LOL

I understand...I felt like the OP in regard to Citi and I've never had one of their cards, lol.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 33 of 43
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

LMAO!!!!

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 34 of 43
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

It will be interesting to see if your strategy works if you apply again.  I guess in some cases having a card gives too much information to the lender when they make decisions about other cards.

BTW: not at all against closing cards, I also closed my Barclays Rewards when they wouldn't turn it into a WMC...

+1

Right, when I app'ed for issuers with no prior relationship, I'd get high CLs; while app'ing for Barclays, with whom I've had...er...many cards, I'd get approved for a much smaller CL.

Message 35 of 43
Open123
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

LMAO!!!!

I must have seen just about every black and white movie ever made, but have never seen this one.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 36 of 43
Rookies1000

The decline letter just arrived. My application for Barclaycard Arrival was denied solely for the following reason:

"Sufficient credit is avaliable on your account issued by Barclays Bank Delaware"

The credit score TU on the letter is 751

The Barclay reward card that I closed was $2,500 CL. I have these other card

- Chase Freedom $14,000 CL

- CSP $9,200 CL

- Chase United $12,000

- AMEX PRG

- Pacific Service Credit Union $2,500

- AMEX BCE $2,500 ( as an AU)

So it seems to me like Barclay is being little jelous if they think that $2,500 was "sufficient".

In any case, if they don't want more of my business, they can keep their card. There are a lot of other prime lenders who happily offer me their products. Smiley Wink

Message 37 of 43
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@Rookies1000 wrote:

The decline letter just arrived. My application for Barclaycard Arrival was denied solely for the following reason:

"Sufficient credit is avaliable on your account issued by Barclays Bank Delaware"

- CSP $9,200 CL

- Chase United $12,000

- AMEX PRG

So it seems to me like Barclay is being little jelous if they think that $2,500 was "sufficient".

In any case, if they don't want more of my business, they can keep their card. There are a lot of other prime lenders who happily offer me their products. Smiley Wink

Well, look on the bright side...you get a free peek at your TU report within the next 60 days.

Message 38 of 43
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Rookies1000 wrote:

- CSP $9,200 CL

- Chase United $12,000

- AMEX PRG

Well, look on the bright side...you get a free peek at your TU report within the next 60 days.

+1

It appears they have limited their exposure with you OP, unfortunately.

Message 39 of 43
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

uups.... I am curious what will happen to me then when I try to apply for the Sallie Mae end of May.  My Arrival gets only 10% util every month...I might get the same answer from Barclays as I have no intention to use up 10K ...income does not warrant such charges Smiley Surprised

Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.