Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays - I could not be more mad...

tag
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Barclays - I could not be more mad...

So, I use my Barclays card for everything, I mean everything and I had planned my next two weeks of living on the fact that I would be paying them 2700 and continuing to use my card, well yesterdayt I made my my usual 900 payment and THEY PLACED IT ON HOLD UNTIL OCT 5 (I have never been late, over my CL, or ever had a retured payment)

I will be making another 900 payment today or tomorow 

In my 35 years fo living and dealing with Citi, Bank of America, Orchard, Capital One...no creditor has ever put a payment of mine on hold.

I should have like 1200 avail credit and I have 25.00

I told the Acct Manager on tthe phone last night I said, what if I were entertaining clients the and bill came and the card declined, could you have done anything and he said, "NO"

Has anyone had this happen to them with Barclays and if so, were you able to get the payment hold removed?

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Barclays - I could not be more mad...

Never had it happen with Barclays, but Cap1 was real good about doing that at the beginning of the account.

Have you spoken with a supervisor?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 37
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah Cap1 use to do that to me when making $500+ payments to pif. I ALWAYS got them to take the hold off though.

Did you have your bank send the payment or do it through their site? I BET a supervisor can take the hold off for you! Call 'em back!

Esp., if you sent a payment from YOUR bank (like online bill pay) there's no reason for a hold!! Gr!! Barclay's credits my account before it even takes it from my account often times loll
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 37
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Yea they credit mine as well before the money gets taken from my checking. I like that!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 37
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

I guess banks sometimes do this when you're getting up close to your limit.

The only time I had this happen to me was a few months back on my Wells Fargo Visa. I made a big purchase that put me within $100 of my CL, so I made a big mid-cycle payment. Usually, when I make a payment, the available balance on my checking is decreased and the available credit on my CC is increased instantly, while the transaction would take a day or two to post. This time though, I didn't get the available credit instantly. I called the bank, and they said for this type of transaction--a mid-cycle payment when the card is close to maxed out--the increase in available credit isn't reflected until the payment was processed.

It wasn't a big deal, as I had plenty of other funds and credit available, and the payment only took 24 hrs to process anyway. But, I'm glad I know this for the future, if I ever find myself in a pinch.

Sounds like your situation is very similar. All I can tell you is that the bank is well within their rights to not increase your available credit until the payment clears, which could take a few days if the payment is coming from another bank. Oct 5th is probably a conservative estimate by them; get confirmation from the bank holding your checking account when the funds have cleared, then call Barclays back.
Message 5 of 37
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

This just happened to me a few days ago. I made the payment and the next day I noticed the credit available was not the entire credit limit. I let it go for two days because it was no big deal but asked them about it yesterday. The lady did not say why it was held but said it would be released sometime next week(she said the date but I forget exactly what it was). She then removed the hold after a few seconds on hold and said it would be released by the next day. Today I logged in and there it is.

The payment was 3358 or something and the largest before that was 2158 or something. So I guess maybe the large payment was risky to them or something. Like you I have never had anything negative happen with the account.

Message 6 of 37
kwazziee
Regular Contributor

I just got approved for a Barclay I hope this does'nt happen cause it will be suck. I have never had this problem with any other CC company.

Message 7 of 37
Andy77
Valued Contributor

So, i did talk to a Supervisor and there is nothing anyone can do to remove it before Oct 5.  I called back and said, if I send over a western union for 900.00 today will that be placed on hold and the rep said yes because the initial hold is freezing your account.

It is a little nuts that if I send over cash from western union THAT is placed on hold..ha ha ha ha ...CrAzy

Yes, I can use another card, but its just very annoying

Message 8 of 37
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Andy77 wrote:

So, i did talk to a Supervisor and there is nothing anyone can do to remove it before Oct 5.  I called back and said, if I send over a western union for 900.00 today will that be placed on hold and the rep said yes because the initial hold is freezing your account.

That is odd. I did not even talk to a supervisor; she was just the frontline customer service representative. I would say try again, as it cannot hurt anything.

Message 9 of 37
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

Op, which Barclay card are you using?

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.