Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barnes and Noble Mastercard

tag
aquatic1
Established Contributor

Barnes and Noble Mastercard

Denied for a card.  I would like to recon.  Is the number listed on the Backdoor number post for Barclay the number to use to get to the credit department?  the letter that they are sending me doesn't have a phone number listed, just an addres.

Starting Score: EX:603
Current Score: EX:603 (10/16/19)
Goal Score: EX:740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barnes and Noble Mastercard

@aquatic1 wrote:
Denied for a card.  I would like to recon.  Is the number listed on the Backdoor number post for Barclay the number to use to get to the credit department?  the letter that they are sending me doesn't have a phone number listed, just an addres.

The Magic Number:  (866) 408-4064

They are nice people and will help if at all possible.

What reason did they give you?

Good luck!

Message 2 of 12
aquatic1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@aquatic1 wrote:

The Magic Number:  (866) 408-4064

They are nice people and will help if at all possible.

What reason did they give you?

Good luck!

I jusr received the letter via email and it says that my utilization is high (31% showing but actually 2%), High number of inquires (1 pluthe one they did).  I will give them a call.

Message Edited by aquatic1 on 01-06-2010 07:44 AM

Message 3 of 12
aquatic1
Established Contributor

Gave them a call.  They are really very nice but still  no go.  I am okay with that for now.  I will re-apply at a later date when a few other things are updated.  I hate that my Amex is reporting incorrectly due to there crazy reporting.  It is reporting as closed and charged off but its not any longer.  It was re-opened last month.

Message 4 of 12
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@aquatic1 wrote:
Gave them a call.  They are really very nice but still  no go.  I am okay with that for now.  I will re-apply at a later date when a few other things are updated.  I hate that my Amex is reporting incorrectly due to there crazy reporting.  It is reporting as closed and charged off but its not any longer.  It was re-opened last month.

I have to ask...if you knew your AmEx was reporting this way, why did you go ahead and apply now? If you knew your utilization was reporting high (but was really low), why did you go ahead and apply now? Before apping, it's best to have your report in the best condition possible at the moment...utilization down, other cards reporting correctly.

Patience is a very necessary part of building/rebuilding credit.

Please don't take offense...I just thought this was important to point out for others who are trying to build.

Message 5 of 12
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

@aquatic1 wrote:

I have to ask...if you knew your AmEx was reporting this way, why did you go ahead and apply now? If you knew your utilization was reporting high (but was really low), why did you go ahead and apply now? Before apping, it's best to have your report in the best condition possible at the moment...utilization down, other cards reporting correctly.

Please don't take offense...I just thought this was important to point out for others who are trying to build.

+1 (Not piling on - just a plain old fact.)

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

it's not a great card only 5% off and 1% in gift certs The whole point about retail cobrand more points when money is spent at the cobranded retail,

Right they're on shopdiscover for 10% and4% at chase rewards Plus for those that don't have a chse non-cobrand cards and don't have a discover

I didn't even people still order books from them with Overstock and Amazon

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aquatic1 wrote:

Really sorry to hear that.

This might work:  Wait until everything is reporting correctly and call them again.  To avoid burning another inquiry, ask them if you can fax them an updated copy of your report that you pulled. 

Message 8 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

rbbyrbsn wrote:

it's not a great card only 5% off and 1% in gift certs The whole point about retail cobrand more points when money is spent at the cobranded retail,

Right they're on shopdiscover for 10% and4% at chase rewards Plus for those that don't have a chse non-cobrand cards and don't have a discover

I didn't even people still order books from them with Overstock and Amazon

That's fine that you don't want/ like this card, but please don't dump on OP's choice. Many people like this one; others like other cards.

I liked the rewards on mine; I just canceled it because I found that I had wound up with a version that didn't allow customer-requested CLI's.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 12
aquatic1
Established Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

@aquatic1 wrote:

My utilization was updated already on EX.  Usually the next one to update would be TU and for the last few months it has been only a couple days after EX. That is why I did it at that time.  I had called my CC and they said they had already reported.  Again, EX is showing most of the updates.  The crdit analyst never even brought up my AmEx.  he stated they want to see a few more months of ontime payments and that I should apply again in a couple months and I should be good to go.

No, I am not taking offense.  You have valid concerns.  Thank you. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.