cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best 0% interest balance transfer cards. Chase?

tag
TexasKaren
Established Member

Best 0% interest balance transfer cards. Chase?

I currently have a Delta Amex card with a fairly high balance. Interest is killing me. It's my only card with a balance. I have three others with nothing on them.  I want to get a new card that has a zero percent interest balance transfer offer. One of my current Visa cards used to send me offers all the time, but they stopped doing it. So, now none of my cards are offering anything good in the way of balance transfers. I was thinking of the Chase Freedom Unlimited to go with my Chase Sapphire Preferred, but they charge a 5% transfer fee which seems high. Any other suggestions? I love getting travel rewards in any shape/form.  After my Amex gets paid off/down a bit more I want to close my CSP and apply for the CSR.  I haven't applied for any new cards in the past two years (much longer actually).

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Best 0% interest balance transfer cards. Chase?

I don't know the balance you need to transfer over but probably the best option is to apply for the Chase Slate card and depending on the SL given transfer some of the limit over from your CSP onto the Slate to a credit line you feel comfortable with while you paying it down. And then when you're done paying it off do a PC of the Slate care to the Freedom Unlimited.

Message 2 of 11
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

Regrettably, what simplynoir is suggesting won't work. Chase does not permit BTs from one of its cards to another. The Slate is indeed a good 0% BT card, but it must be used to take a transfer from a card outside the Chase system. The other good 0% BT cards are BankAmericard and Amex Everyday. Most of them require that you make the BT within two months of opening the card in order to get the 0% transfer fee. One of them is longer, but I can't remember which one. Other than those three, I know there are several CU cards that offer 0% BT, but the 0% interest period is usually shorter, anywhere from 6 to 12 months.
Message 3 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@kshurika wrote:
Regrettably, what simplynoir is suggesting won't work. Chase does not permit BTs from one of its cards to another. The Slate is indeed a good 0% BT card, but it must be used to take a transfer from a card outside the Chase system. The other good 0% BT cards are BankAmericard and Amex Everyday. Most of them require that you make the BT within two months of opening the card in order to get the 0% transfer fee. One of them is longer, but I can't remember which one. Other than those three, I know there are several CU cards that offer 0% BT, but the 0% interest period is usually shorter, anywhere from 6 to 12 months.

???

OP wants to transfer a balance from his Delta AMEX unless they changed the content of their post. In your scenario the Everyday isn't even an option.

Message 4 of 11
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

Whoops! 14 hours straight at work.

Also, if you shut down the CFU, I would suggest that you move the CL off of it onto another Chase card before doing so.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. AMEX Delta > Discover (0% transfer 4.99% APR)*

2. Discover > AMEX EveryDay (0% transfer 0% apr)

3. ???**

4. PROFIT!

* Best Discover BT offer I've seen was 2% transfer fee 0% APR. 0% transfer fee X% APR offers are not exclusive to Discover.

** Transfer/Pay before 1st Discover payment due date to avoid APR tax

Message 6 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@TexasKaren wrote:

I currently have a Delta Amex card with a fairly high balance. Interest is killing me. It's my only card with a balance. I have three others with nothing on them.  I want to get a new card that has a zero percent interest balance transfer offer. One of my current Visa cards used to send me offers all the time, but they stopped doing it. So, now none of my cards are offering anything good in the way of balance transfers. I was thinking of the Chase Freedom Unlimited to go with my Chase Sapphire Preferred, but they charge a 5% transfer fee which seems high. Any other suggestions? I love getting travel rewards in any shape/form.  After my Amex gets paid off/down a bit more I want to close my CSP and apply for the CSR.  I haven't applied for any new cards in the past two years (much longer actually).

OP, I don't know your stats or what cards your currently have but Citi Simplicity & Diamond Preferred are decent options.  CapOne, if you don't have them in your lineup, has the QS and it's 15 months no interest.  Discover is okay.  You have options if your profile is right and you don't already have these folks in your wallet.  

Message 7 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

To avoid the transaction fee and still get 0%, I'd agree that BankAmericard and Slate are going to be the best options.  Both cards can also be product changed to better cards later on, or you can reallocate their limits to another card you have from the same lender (I've done that with both of those cards in the past few months).  If you're okay with a 3% BT fee (certainly better than what you are paying now!), there are many other options.  The Citi cards that Loquat mentioned are great options; I would just caution that it can be difficult/impossible to product change the Simplicity card later while the Diamond Preferred has tons of PC options, and Citi usually refuses to reallocate credit lines (essentially to make it work if you can find someone to do it, you'd take a HP to get a CLI on one card and reduce the other card by the same amount).

Message 8 of 11
polaris2011
Contributor

OP, check out the Amex Everday card offers. Last month I got mine with 0% transfer fee on transfers within 60 days, 0% APR for bt and purchases for 15 months, plus member rewards with $1K spend in the first 3 months.

Good luck!

FICO 08 Scores (Starting; BK Discharged 4/15): EQ 647, TU 655, EX 638
FICO 08 Scores (Mar-18): EQ 757, TU 736, EX 746
Score Goal: 741
Current Cards: Cap1 QS: $1500 | USAA Preferred: $16000 | PayPal MasterCard: $7500 | Discover Miles: $12000 | AMEX ED: $12000 | AMEX Cash Magnet: $1000 | Citi Diamond Preferred: $3700
Cancelled Cards: OpenSky: $200
Message 9 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@polaris2011 wrote:

OP, check out the Amex Everday card offers. Last month I got mine with 0% transfer fee on transfers within 60 days, 0% APR for bt and purchases for 15 months, plus member rewards with $1K spend in the first 3 months.

Good luck!

See message #4 from @simplynoir.  American Express (or any other lender that I am aware of) will not allow you to transfer a balance from one of their own cards to a 0% promotional balance transfer offer.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.