Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Alternative to Amex BBP For MR Points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Alternative to Amex BBP For MR Points

To be clear, I am referring to the Amex Blue Business Plus.

I already have the Amex Gold card, and would like to build more MR points. I read that the BBP is part of the Amex Trifecta, but I lack a business to apply through. The other options I saw were the EveryDay, EveryDay Preferred, and maybe the BCE. I really don't want to pay an AF for a filler card. I was wondering if the BCE is strictly cashback, or can you transfer what you earn to the Gold card and then have MR points?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Alternative to Amex BBP For MR Points

BCE is strictly cash back.

In terms of differentiation from your Gold...

Green offers 3x on all travel/transit, not just flights

EDP offers 2x on gas stations, and an option for 4.5x on grocery, 3x on gas and 1.5x on all spend if you use the card 30 times in a month.

So that's an extra 0.5x on grocery and noncategory spend (if you use Gold for 1x noncategory), and an extra 2x on gas from your gold.  

Assuming $3000/year in groceries, $1200/year in gas and 2 cents per point.  That's an extra 3,900 MR points per year, worth $78.  The annual fee is $95.  So you would need the extra 0.5x on noncategory spend to equal $17/1% = $1700 to breakeven vs using Gold for groceries, gas and noncategory.  And that assumes you use EDP 30 times every single month to get the 50% point bonus.

Aside from that, you are looking at SUB potential as the main driver.  For example, ED card offers 10K points with no annual fee.  

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is your spending breakdown?

Message 3 of 18
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

If the BBP is not an option, then you're looking at the EveryDay or EveryDay Preferred for your "misceallaneous" MR earning card.

Which one you get really depends on what your gas/grocery spend looks like and how many transactions you can expect to put on it per month.

I'll also add that you may already qualify for an Amex BBP and not know it.  There's pretty much no business verification needed if you use your name as the business name on the app.  There's not much legal distinction between a sole proprietorship and an individual.  Also, they don't care if you charge personal expenses to the card as long as you can pay it off.  So make of that what you will.  I am NOT suggesting you or anyone put fraudulent info on a credit app.  I'm just saying getting small business credit may be easier than you think.  It may be worth a bit of research.  It was for me.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

If the BBP is not an option, then you're looking at the EveryDay or EveryDay Preferred for your "misceallaneous" MR earning card.

Which one you get really depends on what your gas/grocery spend looks like and how many transactions you can expect to put on it per month.

I'll also add that you may already qualify for an Amex BBP and not know it.  There's pretty much no business verification needed if you use your name as the business name on the app.  There's not much legal distinction between a sole proprietorship and an individual.  Also, they don't care if you charge personal expenses to the card as long as you can pay it off.  So make of that what you will.  I am NOT suggesting you or anyone put fraudulent info on a credit app.  I'm just saying getting small business credit may be easier than you think.  It may be worth a bit of research.  It was for me.

I'll definitely look into that! I had been considering creating an S-Corp for other reasons, but I'll do some more research. The BBP makes the most sense if it's no issue to apply

Message 5 of 18
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I'll definitely look into that! I had been considering creating an S-Corp for other reasons, but I'll do some more research. The BBP makes the most sense if it's no issue to apply

I got an EIN to give to them but I think using your social security number would work just as well. As long as AmEx is willing to give you another core revolver, I don't really think they care if you get personal or business. BBP is really convenient. Not worrying about making x amount of transactions in a month or spend categories is a game changer. 

Message 6 of 18
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

You don't need to incorporate and being a sole proprietor is fine.

I would not pay for EDP (and its transaction requirement) when you already have a good grocery card.

Another option is to use a V/MC (I use BofA PR often) or first-year Discover (1.5% becoming 3%). Not sure what type you have but I see it's a student card.

I'm not totally sure what protections would apply if you need to make some benefit claim about a purchase on a BBP with no business relevance. I mostly use my BBP for tax payments and BofA or a personal Amex for smaller, more everyday stuff.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

You don't need to incorporate and being a sole proprietor is fine.

I would not pay for EDP (and its transaction requirement) when you already have a good grocery card.

Another option is to use a V/MC (I use BofA PR often) or first-year Discover (1.5% becoming 3%). Not sure what type you have but I see it's a student card.

I'm not totally sure what protections would apply if you need to make some benefit claim about a purchase on a BBP with no business relevance. I mostly use my BBP for tax payments and BofA or a personal Amex for smaller, more everyday stuff.

Definitely, I just mentioned the S-corp because it was something I was already considering. 

With the sole proprietorship, it seems you can just use your SS number, and provide a reasonable revenue source. I still need to read some more, maybe get more feedback from here. 

The Discover card is just like the regular chrome, 2% food and gas, but i also get $20 for good grades every year. 

I'm just looking for a card to earn more MR points. The 1x on everything else is lame.

Message 8 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

For sole proprietorship, SSN or ITIN are fine.  As long as you are honest about it, Amex really doesn't care what the business is.  Your business can be as simple as you are a game enthusiast and sell your console and games on eBay every year.

Also, I've been meaning to ask you about your credit cards.  😂 

Message 9 of 18
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

If you use Rakuten, then the Rakuten Visa can give you 3 additional points if you use it in Rakuten. Good if you shop in stores that are on Rakuten. 

The other option is to get a regular 2% card since Amex isn't accepted everywhere, so it's good to have a backup Visa or MC.

If you really need MR points and make enough swipes every month, then your options are kinda limited to everyday (1.2) and everyday preferred (1.5). 

Current open cards:
Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire ($31,700); Amex BBP ($27,000); HSBC Premier WMC ($21,500); USB Altitude Reserve ($20,000); USB Altitude Reserve ($10,000); WF Bilt MC ($9,400); Chase Freedom ($7,300), BofA Premium Rewards ($5,000); Apple Card ($4,750); BofA Alaska Visa ($4,200); USB Altitude Go ($1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.