Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Store Card upgraded to Visa

tag
stancil70
Contributor

Best Buy Store Card upgraded to Visa

Received notice in the mail today that my Best Buy store card is being upgraded to the Visa version.  I've had the store card about 5 years, hadn't used it in about 4 years.  About 2 months ago, I got notice that it was at risk of being closed for non-use.  I was eyeballing a new computer anyway, so I went and purchased one and carried the balance through one statement.  

Just a few data points:  FICO about 750 on all 3 bureaus, total utilization at 2%, available credit across all cards about $500,000, yearly income about $120k

PS -- Please ignore the cards in my signature, I have to update it and just haven't had time.  

My Wallet: Chase Freedom Unlimited 2k; Chase Amazon Prime 30k; Chase IHG 500; Chase Disney 15k; Chase Mariott Bonvoy 23.7k; Barclays Carnival 11.1k; Barclay Rewards 1.9k; Cap 1 Savor 15k, Cap 1 Walmart 10k; Cap 1 QS 6.7k; Cap 1 Pottery Barn 18.2k; Discover It 12k; Citi Rewards 14.7k; Citi DC 14k; Citi Simplicity 16.8k; Citi Custom Cash 3k; Amex Goldno pre-set limit; Amex BCE 5.1k; Amex Hilton 40k; Amex Magnet 5.5k; Amex Macys 19.7k; Amex Delta 20k; BOA Cash Rewards 75k; BOA Travel Rewards 15.2k; Wells Fargo Active Cash 22k; Best Buy Visa 3.3; BP Visa 4k; Target MC 4k; Kohls 3k; Nordstrom 1k; Apple MC 15k; Penfed Power Cash 8.8k; Penfed Platinum 10k; Various Comenity MC/Visa 72.6k/ Various Synchrony MC/Visa 83.5k. Total Credit Lines: $597,150k, utilization less than 1%. FICO scores 775 - 800; Annual Income $250k
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
vV35Hszm
Contributor

Re: Best Buy Store Card upgraded to Visa

Congrats! You’ve got a lot of cards!!
Message 2 of 16
jsmith12345
Regular Contributor

I received the same letter yesterday as well!  I was a bit concerned as this happened with my Wal-Mart card and it created a new trade line and affected my score, so I was about to decline it.  However, in reading the documentation, it states "Your entire account history and original account open date will remain the same". I've had my BB card for many years, not a huge limit but plenty for what I was buying ($10k) and I love 0% interest deals for 2 years.  Smiley Happy  I just paid off a washer/dryer last month that was on a zero interest deal.  I knocked it out early as I came into some $$$.  

Message 3 of 16
stancil70
Contributor

@vV35Hszm wrote:
Congrats! You’ve got a lot of cards!!

Yeah I do ... but like I said it needs updating.  There have been a few changes, some I closed, and some that are just stuffed in a drawer somewhere.  

My Wallet: Chase Freedom Unlimited 2k; Chase Amazon Prime 30k; Chase IHG 500; Chase Disney 15k; Chase Mariott Bonvoy 23.7k; Barclays Carnival 11.1k; Barclay Rewards 1.9k; Cap 1 Savor 15k, Cap 1 Walmart 10k; Cap 1 QS 6.7k; Cap 1 Pottery Barn 18.2k; Discover It 12k; Citi Rewards 14.7k; Citi DC 14k; Citi Simplicity 16.8k; Citi Custom Cash 3k; Amex Goldno pre-set limit; Amex BCE 5.1k; Amex Hilton 40k; Amex Magnet 5.5k; Amex Macys 19.7k; Amex Delta 20k; BOA Cash Rewards 75k; BOA Travel Rewards 15.2k; Wells Fargo Active Cash 22k; Best Buy Visa 3.3; BP Visa 4k; Target MC 4k; Kohls 3k; Nordstrom 1k; Apple MC 15k; Penfed Power Cash 8.8k; Penfed Platinum 10k; Various Comenity MC/Visa 72.6k/ Various Synchrony MC/Visa 83.5k. Total Credit Lines: $597,150k, utilization less than 1%. FICO scores 775 - 800; Annual Income $250k
Message 4 of 16
vV35Hszm
Contributor

What kind of income do you have for that much credit??
Message 5 of 16
stancil70
Contributor

@vV35Hszm wrote:
What kind of income do you have for that much credit??

My annual income is about $175k and I have very little debt so I rotate my "go-to" cards and PIF.  I put EVERYTHING on whatever my "go-to" is at the moment.  Do it for a few months, get a CLI and then rotate to another card and repeat.  The highest balance I have on a card right now is about $4,000 which I'm letting ride because it's 0% APR for another 18 months or so.  I put my backyard fence on the card when I got the 0% APR offer.  

Message 6 of 16
MakeItAMudLight
Frequent Contributor

I got the same letter the other day for my five year old Best Buy card.  I've never paid nay interest on this card and only used it for the promotional financing from time to time so I'm assuming they're hoping we'll use them more as a Visa.  

Message 7 of 16
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@jsmith12345 wrote:

I received the same letter yesterday as well!  I was a bit concerned as this happened with my Wal-Mart card and it created a new trade line and affected my score, so I was about to decline it.  However, in reading the documentation, it states "Your entire account history and original account open date will remain the same". I've had my BB card for many years, not a huge limit but plenty for what I was buying ($10k) and I love 0% interest deals for 2 years.  Smiley Happy  I just paid off a washer/dryer last month that was on a zero interest deal.  I knocked it out early as I came into some $$$.  

The Walmart card is backed by synchrony, and they are very well known to do this. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. I was just approved for the Visa with a SL $2k. I had the choice to select store card or Visa and that was a no brainer.
Message 9 of 16
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

I wish they could have upgraded mine too. My store card is now 10K CL, too bad i cannot use that anywhere else lol

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.