Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit Unions That Offer Big Credit Lines

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Credit Unions That Offer Big Credit Lines

Hello credit community,

As someone who's a member of NFCU and recently was approved for my 2nd CC w/them in 4 months totaling over $20,000 in credit line access I have a question.

Is there another credit union that operates similar to NFCU that doesn't require to have a military affiliation. It'll probably have stricter credit score requirements etc... but I personally have over a 780+ FICO 9 on EX so that's not an issue.

I'm aware of the big ones like PNC, Alliant, BBVA etc... but aside from Alliant I don't have any idea what those other credit unions offer. Anyone have datapoints on credit unions that exist that anyone can join and offer large lines of credit with their credit cards?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Best Credit Unions That Offer Big Credit Lines

PenFed has been generous as of late.

For your reading pleasure. Pentagon Federal Credit Union Data Share

Message 2 of 18
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Though some have geo-fence concerns, spend some time in the Approvals Thread to see who's actively approving a lot of accounts. Off the top of my head, you may consider PenFed as no military affiliation is needed and they've been rather generous lately. 

Message 3 of 18
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@AllZero Great Minds Think Alike 😁🥂

Message 4 of 18
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

@AllZero Great Minds Think Alike 😁🥂

@cashorcharge  Wine Cheers GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Message 5 of 18
sxa001
Valued Contributor

I can't say it is the norm, but my FICO was only around a 730 or so when NASA FCU gave me 15K.  I have never asked for a CLI, my highest balance was around ~3700.  

I had an Auto Loan with them at the time that I had been paying on for a couple of years (36 month loan) so that may have helped as well.   I received the card in 2017 after 5 years of membership.  Just adding that for datapoints as I don't know how generous they would be to new members.  

The Rewards card isn't the greatest, but it is my lowest interest card (10.9%).  I do wonder with my better scores now if they would be willing to take me down to the 9.4% which is their lowest, they do have the 8.9% APR on BT's as well but I have never use any of the BT checks they send me.  

The list of organizations to become a member is pretty big as well. 

Message 6 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello credit community,

As someone who's a member of NFCU and recently was approved for my 2nd CC w/them in 4 months totaling over $20,000 in credit line access I have a question.

Is there another credit union that operates similar to NFCU that doesn't require to have a military affiliation. It'll probably have stricter credit score requirements etc... but I personally have over a 780+ FICO 9 on EX so that's not an issue.

I'm aware of the big ones like PNC, Alliant, BBVA etc... but aside from Alliant I don't have any idea what those other credit unions offer. Anyone have datapoints on credit unions that exist that anyone can join and offer large lines of credit with their credit cards?

Decent size credit limits can be obtained from PenFed, Langley, and Unify.

Total revolving limits 650200 (530700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 708 TU 714 EX 715

Message 7 of 18
E_Fizzy
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello credit community,

@Anonymous. Outside of PenFed, I would DEFINITELY try SECU of MD.

They have continued to be generous during COVID and their customer service is great.  Their membership is not necessarily geofenced. With your profile, you should be able to get a minimum of $10-15k CL with no problem. 

https://youtu.be/fJ_pwUaHhf4

AODFCU would be a nice alternative for you too with their flat 3% cash back credit card option, but their membership while not geofenced, can take awhile to be approved.

Message 8 of 18
TSlop
Valued Contributor

PSECU offers up to $30k on their credit card. I was offered $25k when I opened mine and haven't worried about trying to get to the max.

Message 9 of 18
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

OP - one thing you don't mention is your opinion on what constitutes a "large" line of credit on an individual card.    

If we're talking range of $10-25K it's not that difficult to present options. If we're talking $35K and up the list will be a lot shorter.  

What are your thoughts? 

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.