Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Gas Card?

tag
Objectivist
Valued Member

Best Gas Card?

Can anyone recommend some good (and obtainable) gas cards? I'm a student who makes $20,000. Good scores of about 720 w/no baddies.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Jlu
Established Contributor

Re: Best Gas Card?

It would help to know where you're from so we don't reccomend a gas card for a station that isn't in your state.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 2 of 15
Dustink
Valued Contributor

What other cards (limit and app dates) do you have and who do you bank with? I find my US Bank Flexperks VIsa Signature to be my best gas card.

I had a prior relationship with US Bank, so it wasn't so hard to get. I got the card when I was 20 years old. Just find a good card from your bank that offers bonus points on gas purchases.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 15
pastnow123
Regular Contributor

PenFed offers 5% on gas, but you need to get a membership and have a decent credit score to qualify

Message 4 of 15
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

If you don't mind rotating categories, you could give the Chase Freedom and Discover More a shot.  The calendar for 2013 has not been released yet, but the 2012 calendar included gas in two of its categories.  As a student you could also try the Discover Open Road where it gives you 2$ cashback on gas (and restaurants) but the catch is the 2% cashback is capped at $250 per billing period.

I heard one needs excellent/stellar credit for the PenFed card...

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pastnow123 wrote:

PenFed offers 5% on gas, but you need to get a membership and have a decent credit score to qualify

+1  PenFed's gas card may be the best.  If that's not attainable, you could look at the Bank of America 1-2-3 card.

Message 6 of 15
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@sakhalin070 wrote:

If you don't mind rotating categories, you could give the Chase Freedom and Discover More a shot.  The calendar for 2013 has not been released yet, but the 2012 calendar included gas in two of its categories.  As a student you could also try the Discover Open Road where it gives you 2$ cashback on gas (and restaurants) but the catch is the 2% cashback is capped at $250 per billing period.

I heard one needs excellent/stellar credit for the PenFed card...

The Amex Blue Cash Everyday gives 2% cashback on gas with no cap.

I don't think there is one gas card to rule them all. I have four cards for gas purchases depending on the current promotions:

• Walmart card for the current rollback -- 15 cents/gallon discount -- or the regular 3 cents/gallon discount
  • Blue Cash Everyday for 2% back when the Walmart card isn't offering the rollback (or when I'm not near a Murphy station)
  • Discover More and Chase Freedom for when they offer 5% back
Message 7 of 15
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

How much do you spend on gas? If you spend a lot it makes sense to get BofA 123 Cash Reward for 3% CB on gas.

Penfed 5% tops BofA, but it is much easier to obtain BofA CC than Penfed.

Message 8 of 15
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

Try Chevron or Shell card if your looking no fancy card without or little rewards.

Message 9 of 15
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

BoA 1-2-3 card

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.