cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Secured Credit Card for REALLY low score?

tag
DesertLife
Regular Contributor

Re: Best Secured Credit Card for REALLY low score?

@tattooedhusker wrote:

I have an OpenSky secured card, no credit check with them.

Open Sky has a $50 annual fee compared to First Progress' $29 (platinum elite), $39 (platinum select), or $44 (platinum prestige) annual fee.

Started out with a 648 EQ in 2018, finally got to 850 FS8 TU | 836 FSU EX in November 2021!
Message 11 of 15
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

State Department Federal Credit Union has a rewards Visa with no credit check, no annual fee, and 6.99% APR. You have to open an account with them (I opened mine online) and apply for the card via phone.

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 12 of 15
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

www.whogavemecredit.com

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 13 of 15
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@RedHead1 wrote:

Hi all,

As you can see below, I have an abysmal score. I've been wanting to open a secured card for the following reasons: 1. I can now control my spending and can use it responsibly, 2. increase my debt to credit ratio, 3. have a card with a good, clean slate. Problem is, I only want to apply ONCE, so I don't have any additional credit checks. Is there a card that has a good acceptance rate for people with as low a score as mine? PS- I have bad history with Barclays, Capital One, and Citi, if that means anything.

I think you need stages of secured cards.   First try the sub prime ones that don't pull credit, others have mentioned here.   Then after a year or more, you can probably add a secured card from a major bank or credit union.   Cap1, USBank, BofA, CITI are all likely to deny at this time, but would be likely after you improve. 

US Bank denied me 4 years ago when I started rebuilding and my credit was not nearly as bad.   Then I started with Open Sky secured, added HSBC secured at six months, Capital One secured at a year.   When secured cards were 1.5 yrs old, I got unsecured cards from the same banks. It takes several years to rebuild.

Message 14 of 15
GreatCreditFor2012
Contributor

Yea the others post are correct. It takes at least 2 years to build maybe even more to rebuild. But yea Opensky is Kool... You can deposit $200-$3000, no credit check, and they report to all 3 CRA, Also a low APR 14.5%. Downside is the Annual Fee is $50 and it will never turn into a unsecured Card. But its Kool to put your foot in the Credit door again. Good luck on your Credit rebuild journey! Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.