Best Unsecured Credit Card for 600 Credit Score

Hi,

This is my first post. I have to 2 Secured CCs

-OpenSky - $1k

-Capital One- $500

Credit Builders

-Cred Ai - $1500 

-Self - $500

I currently bank with First Tech ( I heard I should switch to PenFed lmk). I'm looking to start building unsecured credit with high limits please give me your best advice

22 REPLIES 22
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Best Unsecured Credit Card for 600 Credit Score

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

-OpenSky - $1k

-Capital One- $500

Credit Builders

-Cred Ai - $1500 

-Self - $500

I currently bank with First Tech ( I heard I should switch to PenFed lmk). I'm looking to start building unsecured credit with high limits please give me your best advice

With a 600 score you not going to get high limits and may not get unsecured cards at this point with your current line up . What is your profile like? What negatives do you have ?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have removed all my negative reporting accounts. I figured I'm not going to start getting approved just looking for the next best step. My score was being tanked by student loans. 

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

-OpenSky - $1k

-Capital One- $500

Credit Builders

-Cred Ai - $1500 

-Self - $500

With a 600 score you not going to get high limits and may not get unsecured cards at this point with your current line up . What is your profile like? What negatives do you have ?

Message 3 of 23
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

ETA:  I need my seeing eye children.... I read this as a question about best SECURED cards.  I apologize for th3 confusion and not answering the real question you asked!

Good secured cards in order of best to worse in my humble opinion:

1. nSecured -- (NFCU). if you have a parent or grandparent who was in the military (even if they are deceased) you qualify.  Graduates after 6-7 months.
  2. Discover -- graduates after 6-7 months 
  3. TD bank ( if you are in the east) graduates in 6-7 months 
  4. SDFCU -- supposed to be good but SLOW approval process
  5. US Bank -- graduates after 12-18 months with another hard pull
  6. Citi -- still waiting for graduation after 2 years 

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not really looking to add more secured debt. If you think it's better to be patient? I should be around 630-650 in more 1-2 months.

Message 5 of 23
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not really looking to add more secured debt. If you think it's better to be patient? I should be around 630-650 in more 1-2 months.

With a clean file, low utilization, and assuming the amount of new credit and inquiries are in check, data points suggest you might be a good candidate for an unsecured Discover or even Amex (co-branded) card.  

I would still look into establishing a relationship with Penfed, SDFCU, or Navy if you have an in.  Even if not eligible for approval now, starting to build a history will put you in a position to get thei credit products in 3-6 months.

06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Message 6 of 23
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

-OpenSky - $1k

-Capital One- $500

Credit Builders

-Cred Ai - $1500 

-Self - $500

You can try Blaze MasterCard. After 1 year they waive annual fee. Every 6 months the give CLI. I have that card for a year and happy with it. Got 2 CLI's on it. Some of the posters here got limits upto $5K. Check it out.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently bank with First Tech but I heard they mainly cater to people with higher p&Ls than me as far as credit goes. What the difference with Penfed?

Message 8 of 23
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently bank with First Tech but I heard they mainly cater to people with higher p&Ls than me as far as credit goes. What the difference with Penfed?

Penfed is a much larger CU and they have aggressively been trying to grow even more during the pandemic at a time when most lenders were scaling WAAAAY back.

Being larger, Penfed can afford to take more risk than a smaller CU like First Tech.  Penfed used to be very conservative.  However, over the last year, they have been more welcoming (open membership, generous limits for people with blemishes in their credit history).  

I know they like a certain type of profile (sadly, mine isn't their "type").  

Perhaps others can chime in.  There is also Penfed megathread that you can search for (start from the end -- most recent -- and work back to get a sense of what is being approved.

Good luck.

06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Message 9 of 23
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

If you have a pulse fingerhut will approve you. granted they price their items a bit high but on the flip side my sl was 500 and in 9 months its now  2600, and they report to all 3 bureaus.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 2100/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.